NEW DIVE SITE ! ! - Dive Haven - White, Georgia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No Fish

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
NEW DIVE SITE
OPENS IN SOUTHEAST ! ! !

What has long been a dream for many divers in the Greater Atlanta has become a reality. Dive Haven, a deep quarry dive site in White, GA, will open June 3rd !!!

The labor of love for the Easley family of the Cartersville area, when completed, will be one of the premier dive sites in the southeast.

The dream of Brent Easley was shared by his brother, James. Both divers, they had long pondered the possibilities of developing a dive venue in the old quarry in White. The blue bird of fortune smiled upon them several weeks ago when the owner of the property, after many years of refusal to others who had approached her, agreed to sell them the property for development as a dive site.

With vision, determination, and a business plan, Brent, James and "Pop" Easley launched their project. Gathering the clan, as the Scots would say, the Easleys rounded up kin and cousins and friends and started clearing the property. As Dive Haven opens, the site will still be a work in progress with the majority of the major structures to be completed over the next year. Consulting with instructors, shop owners and divers, the Easleys drew up plans for a dive site which will cater to a very large section of the sport of scuba diving.

The long term plan for Dive Haven is to have on site a dive shop with new and rental gear, tank rentals and fills (air and nitrox), indoor training facilities/class rooms, heated pool for confined water work, repair facilities, concessions, camp sites and rental cabins.

The quarry itself, is approximately 19 acres in size and is about 170' deep. The depth of the quarry will provide an excellent resource for those divers working on advanced certifications.

While there already exists some beautiful rock structure, a sunken auto and crane in the quarry, the Easleys plan to add swim-throughs underwater for those divers working on cavern/cave certifications.

The quarry is situated in a serene setting with ample parking and easy access to the water. Numerous docks, landings, and platfroms are being constructed and submerged for all levels of diver training.

We are extremely excited about this wonderful addition to diving in the Southeast and give our greatest hopes and wishes to Brent, James and Pop in their endeavour.

The other day the Kraken & I visited the new Dive Haven operation in White, Ga. It is located not too far North of Atlanta off of Rt. 411. The setting is rural, and in my opinion, quite nice and relaxed.

I found the owners to be very friendly and great folks to talk to. They are trying to create a dive facility that will accomodate divers of differing skills. It is still in the "getting things built" phase.

The Kraken will post a detailed report on this thread. For now, I have a little slide show with some of the photos we took when we were there. Due to the current problems with posting photos on this board, I have them on my Photodex site. Here is the link:

http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewalbum.html?bm=102179

Overall, We were very pleased with everything we experienced. There are things to see, a variety of environments, and the temp & vis varies too.

Hope to see you there sometime. I think they have a great start.

We hope all of you will come out and have;

Safe dives . . . . . . . . .
. . . and safer ascents !

at Dive Haven

No Fish / The Kraken

Congrats to Brent, James and "Pop" Easley!!!
Best wishes for a great and successful business !!!

the K

I am having trouble with the pics/slide show, probably something with my work connection. Where is this place, sounds like it would be a good weekender, coming from Huntsville. Do you have a mapquest link or something similar?

Randy

Here's a post made on the Looney Bird Forum that included more info... I'm very much looking forward to visiting (and often)!!!

Dive Haven - White Ga Quarry info

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello from the owners of Dive Haven! We are so excited to see all of the interest in diving the quarry. We are located at 781 Old Tennessee Highway in White, just outside of Cartersville, Georgia. The site is approximately 5 miles from Interstate 75.

We are excitedly awaiting the arrival of our compressor, which will also be capable of filling Nitrox tanks. Meanwhile, we have been busy building docks and training platforms. Our next project will be building the restrooms and bath houses. In the future will have a concession stand, camp sites, picnic areas, and more. We will also be installing underwater attractions. We already have a crane and a car. We want to have a very clean and comfortable enviroment for all divers.

Our tenative opening date is set for June 3, 2006. The fees will be $25.00 per day for divers and $10.00 per day for non-divers. We are still discussing the fees for season passes. Public Safety divers please check with us for fees for teams.

We will open on Saturdays and Sundays from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00p.m. and during the week by appointment. We are family owned and have different levels of training and experience.

We would like to thank the local dive shops (Divers Supply, Southern Swim and Scuba, and The Dive Shop) that have come out, dove the quarry, and helped with suggestions. We would also like to thank Murray County Dive Team for their interest and enthusiasm.

Please feel free to stop in for a visit, even if it is before we open. We are working all day on Saturdays and Sundays in preparation for the Grand Opening. You may also post comments or questions on this site, e-mail me at divehavenga@yahoo.com or call me at 404-406-2577.

We hope to have our web-site up and running soon with pictures and further information. Thanks again for your interest and hope to see you at the quarry.

Happy Diving!

From Huntsville:
Get to Georgia somehow and intersect I-75 South.
Take I-75 South to the U.S. Hwy. 411 exit. Take U.S. Hwy. 411 north to White, GA.
In White, turn left onto Rocky St. Go to the deadend and turn left onto the Old Tennessee Hwy. The quarry will be a mile or so north on the west side of the road.

the K

Was thinking about putting that on the list of "places to stop when travelling" but WOW not at that price.
Ber :lilbunny:

rdharbis1:
I am having trouble with the pics/slide show, probably something with my work connection. Where is this place, sounds like it would be a good weekender, coming from Huntsville. Do you have a mapquest link or something similar?

Randy

I checked the link, and it is OK. So much for IT departments....

Maybe backward... but....

From I-75 north, I exit on 411 toward White and go up the road until you cross over a brand new rail spur crossing. The next road around the next curve or so on the left is Shinall road. A one laner. Turn left on Shinall, past the house & over the main tracks. It ends there. Go left on Old Tenn. Hwy. less than a mile and you will see some large metal buildings (chicken houses) on the right. Turn right into the last driveway and then immediately into the dive area through the gap in the fence on the left.

I find this way foolproof. It is not in Cartersville, it is in White.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom