So, just who is George Irvine III?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JT2

Reaction score
I know he is head of the WKPP and superdiver extrordinair who has no equal, know's everything bla bla bla, but what I would really like to know is, how did he get into diving, who was he first certified with, and are his teachings the result of just being born perfect, or has he made mistakes and learned from them in the past as most of us do? Has he actually tried all of the diving styles and configurations that he so adamently slams, has he ever dove "Deep Air", used a regular BC or dove solo, or was he simply born with a 7' foot umbilical cord and a bungeed back-up cord around his neck and custom shaped feet to properly fit Jetfins? Seriously, does anyone know anything about his beginnings in the sport, I would be really interested in reading it as I find myself leaning towards, or perhaps becoming more open minded to the DIR way of doing things.

Man you are tough. One of my instuctors is a caver and, well...... I did learn a lot from him, but I still refuse to dive a 7' hose.

I am very serious UP, thank you for the E-mail addy, and yes, I will send him my questions and I will let you all know the response I get when I get it. Thanks!

I can't answer those questions but anyone who will repeatedly badmouth Sheck Exley (whom, it seems was loved by all) must have something up his sleeve. Or...maybe he is just jealous.

It's always been my understanding that Sheck Exley was one of the main people who came up with a lot of the ideas and configurations that GI3 practices, is this not true?

It's always been my understanding that Sheck Exley was one of the main people who came up with a lot of the ideas and configurations that GI3 practices, is this not true?

Exley's "Blueprint for Survival" came out in 1979 if memory serves me. He was already talking long hose, continuous guideline, multiple backup lights, rule of thirds, etc. back then. I think George is in his early 50's, so he may have been around then too...let us know, I also don't know much about his past.

I think Exley deserves tons of credit...he was a true pioneer in this sport.

There is a chapter in the NSS-CDS cave manual that IMO should be required reading for all divers. I think the title is "The History of Cave Diving". I wish I had it with me so I could quote it more accuratly. Sheck Exley was one of the divers that developed most of the methodes we all use today. From memory:
He was one of the first to use a BC. He was the first to use a stage bottle, stage diving is his brain child. Hal Watts was the first to use a backup second stage. Most of the real inovations in diving if he wasn't the first to use it he was the first or second to lay line using it. I'll check the book later for other items.

In a nut shell Exley and those he dove with were primary players in bringing diving out of the dark ages. You name a piece of gear or a methode and they had something to do with it. He was at the very forefront of mixed gas diving and decompression.

Unfortunatly I never met him but I know many, including former students, who did. I think he was always too busy with his own projects to be very active in diving politics. If he ever rubbed anyone the wrong way I never heard of it (except George Irvine). To this day when his name comes up in NF people jump in to the conversation to get in their Sheck story. Many want to dive Cathedral because it was Shecks cave. They still dedicate structures to him. Read the plack on the by the stairs at Peacock 1.
I have read GI talking about showing him up scootering. I have read GI talking about how suseptable to peer presure he was. But...check out the back of "Caverns Measyreless to Man" There is a list of divers and the number of dives that Exley did with them but GI is not mentioned anywhere. So, I wonder when it was that GI taught him how to scooter and do deco. I'm not saying he is not telling the truth but I wonder if Sheck even noticed him.

I think he is bitter because no matter what he does in the water or how many records he holds he will never be remembered as fondly or have as big of an impact on as many people as Sheck Exley. GI is the only person that I have heard say anything less than complementory about Sheck Exley.

... about him.... and start talking to him?

That way you won't sound so much like a quilting bee...

If you want his phone number PM me... I put it in my original post but edited it out because I figured he might start getting crank hang-up calls...

UP,
That sounds like agood idea but when he starts talking about how cave divers are low lifes and how he doesn't even like to dive where they are allowed and how the NACD and the NSS are groups of thieves, I start to get defensive and lose the ability to remain rational. I start to think that if he had his way the WKPP would have all the caves locked up like Wakulla. If land owners and all government agencies listened to him, it would be the end of cave diving. We need spokes people to help open things up not shut them down. Check the archives on E-cavers. To have someone in GI's position publicly talking about cave divers and the only organizations we have that way is a real detriment. To apose is simply a matter of self defense.

IMO, he will never contribute enough to make up for the damage some of his statements may cause.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom