Order of importance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jennasnyder1980

Registered
Reaction score
I am trying to slowly stock up on my diving equipment. Right now I have the fins, booties, mask and snorkel.

I went to my LDS today and wanted to know what would be the next important piece of equipment to buy. he said either a regulator or wetsuit.

He also recommended the Poseidon Odin regulator. What are everyone's thoughts on this?

I have been reading some of the threads about the DIN versus yoke and have sort of concluded that I would be better off with a DIN and just using the adaptor. He said that that's where diving is headed.

A lot of people on this board don't seem to like Poseidon so I may be looking at other regulators. I am so afraid because this is really my first purchase. The fins and stuff are a bit less important.

Thanks for the fun.
Jen

Go with purchasing a reg next. Get the best you can afford and it will last you years. I have 2 US divers SE4 Micra adjust regs the oldest is 8 years old. If I did it again I would also look at Apex and Scuba pro regs.

I notice you are in NY. Instead of a wet suit think of saving up for a dry suit. I live in the PNW and made the big mistake of buying a $450 top of the line wet suit. After 25 dives went to a dry suit. Well worth the comfort and extended diving you can do. It is had to do the 2nd and 3rd dives of the day in a wet suit if the water temp is cold.

Safe Diving
Charles

Renting your reg, BC and tank may be a viable option for now. At least that way you'll be able to get in the water. Interesting profile by the way. Looks like you've been very busy!

Thanks for all the information. Just a side question. I notice on the Aqualung site that Apeks to there too. Are they the same company? If my LDS is certified to sell AL, would they also be able to get Apeks stuff?

I probably will save up and just get the dry suit. So many things to do and so little time. thanks!

Personally...I think the bcd is top on the list. And the reason why is bcds differ greatly. You need to get very familiar with where things are clipped...hanging...whatever. If you keep changing bcds it is never the same. You dont want to be flailing around feeling for something if an emergency pops up. Know where everything is.

I would say get the bcd first....a bp and wing...(like how i worked that in??) then get the regs or whatever.

jennasnyder1980:
Thanks for all the information. Just a side question. I notice on the Aqualung site that Apeks to there too. Are they the same company? If my LDS is certified to sell AL, would they also be able to get Apeks stuff?

I probably will save up and just get the dry suit. So many things to do and so little time. thanks!

Yes Auqalung own Apeks.

Take a step back and consider that quality regs last a life time, you should seriously consider buying second hand - I would if I started over.

As Rich said, dont waste your time looking at BCDs, look at BP+wing, possibly DiveRite Transpac for comfort and flexibilty, again second hand is well worth considering.

In your situation, I would continue saving for the drysuit and see what you can beg/borrow while you continue saving... find some friendly tech divers who are local - they will have more kit than they can use any time soon and will probably be able to set you up with a reg or two, bp and wing without too much hassle - just to borrow for a while obviously:wink:

jjs,

Do you buy second hand off of ebay? How can you ensure that the reg is in good condition?

I may look into that. I know this may sound silly, but I feel bad not buying from a LDS because I know it must be hard to operate one and compete with online stores and sellers.

Thanks for the help
jen

My personal order of precedence is:

Wet/Dry Suit
B/C
Regs

the K

jennasnyder1980:
jjs,

Do you buy second hand off of ebay? How can you ensure that the reg is in good condition?

I may look into that. I know this may sound silly, but I feel bad not buying from a LDS because I know it must be hard to operate one and compete with online stores and sellers.

Thanks for the help
jen

If you buy second hand, you should probably take the equipment in and have it serviced prior to using it so take that into account when buying. Service cost around here runs about $100 or so. I acquired a US Divers Conshelf 21 set on ebay for $30. It was in excellent shape and, after servicing, I had a nice backup reg set for $130. Not too bad.

Supporting your LDS is a good idea as well. If you are buying new, seriously look at your LDS. It may cost a few dolloars more but the relationship you build there could pay off for you in the long run.

ZzzKing:
Supporting your LDS is a good idea as well. If you are buying new, seriously look at your LDS. It may cost a few dolloars more but the relationship you build there could pay off for you in the long run.

Notice the word "could"; mine never seemed to pay off. I agree that besides a wetsuit/drysuit, a BC or BP/W should be your first purchase. Rental regs may not be the best breathers but for the most part, a reg is a reg... its not something you need to get comfortable with.

On the BP/W vs traditional BC issue: I personally dive a BP/W but I also do the type of diving that absolutely requires one. If most of your diving so far has been on scubaboard, you'll be under the impression that everyone dives a BP/W. That is no where near the case. Go to your local quarry or get on a dive boat in the Caribbean and I doubt you'll even see one. They definitely have their advantages but anyone who says they are the right BC for everyone is just a zealot.

Back
Top Bottom