Can OMS IQ be used with Pioneer wing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sumguy

Contributor
Reaction score
My LDS doesn't carry OMS or Halcyon, and I've tried to search for info here, but I haven't been able to find an answer. It seems like everyone on this board who has the IQ also has an OMS wing. Are they proprietary? From what I've read here, I'm convinced the Pioneer is the wing for me, but I want the IQ, too, not a pure bp/wing setup.
Also, does anyone know if a Fred T heavy stainless steel plate will fit in the IQ?

I'm going to save you alot of wasted money. :wink: I know because I did the same thing your about to do and ended up buying twice!

I originally bought the DiveRite Transpac II (almost the same thing as the IQ). It was cool for a while but the wings tended to trap air and for whatever reason I ended up with an annoying muscle problem in my back. Not sure if it was the way the harness pulled on my shoulders on long walks to the beach or something else I did to myself but....

Anyway.. I ended up talking to alot of people about backplates and really seemed to think I was missing something. Turns out I was. I ended up purchasing a Halcyon Pioneer rig about 2 months after I bought the Transpac, ans was glad I did. The backplate (although does not sound very comfortable) is very comfortable and sticks to your back like glue. The Pioneer wing is also very good, very streamlined and does not trap air like the diverite (I think it was the bungies). I'm extremely happy with it.

So, save yourself some money and go straight to the backplate. You'll be glad you did. Most LDS's wont sell these. I bought mine from www.fifthd.com for about $550. It included the backplate/harness, 36lb pioneer wing, and the backplate "pocket". Integrated weight pockets are about another $120 but worth it if you hate a weight belt.

1) both have the 1" bolt pattern and will fit nicely.

2) The long one will not, but the regular one should.

3) I tend to dive my IQ less now that I have my heavy Fred T BP. (no you didn't ask, but I trew that in anyway).

Are the Fred T backplates custom? Is there a website?

Back
Top Bottom