Computer Life Expectancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gamehunter

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was going to purchase my Oceanic VT Pro today and let my LDS know that it was being discontinued and that it was being replaced by the VT3. He asked why would I want to buy a computer that is being discontinued from Oceanic when they have discontiued others in the past and not serviced them afterwards. I did not have a comment back to him but I do know he is wanting me to buy a Cobra that his shop sells. I do not need all the bells and wistles of the VT3 so I was opting for the VT Pro while some stores still have them in stock and hoping I could get it discounted, but it wouldn't be such a deal if 2 years down the line I would end up having to spend another 700 after 100 dives that this would have on it. Does any one know the standard practices of the Manf's for serviceing these computers and who has been servicing their old computers the longest.

Gamehunter:
I was going to purchase my Oceanic VT Pro today and let my LDS know that it was being discontinued and that it was being replaced by the VT3. He asked why would I want to buy a computer that is being discontinued from Oceanic when they have discontiued others in the past and not serviced them afterwards. I did not have a comment back to him but I do know he is wanting me to buy a Cobra that his shop sells. I do not need all the bells and wistles of the VT3 so I was opting for the VT Pro while some stores still have them in stock and hoping I could get it discounted, but it wouldn't be such a deal if 2 years down the line I would end up having to spend another 700 after 100 dives that this would have on it. Does any one know the standard practices of the Manf's for serviceing these computers and who has been servicing their old computers the longest.

Buy the cheaper computer. Once the warranty runs out you will be paying anyway IF something happens.

As for servicing really old computers, perhaps the folks from Oceanic will chime in here. I plan on owning my computer for 10 years (atmos elite) before I get another and for $800 I would expect the manufacturer to continue to service it or offer parts to LDS's for 10 years, even if I have to pay for the service. I'm sure the Oceanic gang will find this thread soon.

I do suspect the LDS is trying to get a bit more cash out of you but that is their job so you can't totally be mad at them.

I don't know about parts and service on my 8 year old Suunto Eon. Never been in the shop. Just new battery and o-ring each year. But I would think that they would service a computer at least 5 if not 10 years after they discontinued it.

Charles

Buy whatever you want and don't worry about it being discontinued. Whatever you buy will be discontinued more than likely before you will need to have it repaired. Most manufacturers who discontinue and stop servicing a particular model off a discount toward the purchase of whatever the newer replacement model is.

Shucks... actually it's great to buy oceanic / aeris products when they are going to be discontinued... They always stock enough stuff to handle any warranty or repairs for about 2 years (the warranty period) and after that...it gets even better! For example, I had a customer with an old Aeris Pro. Been discontinued for about 4 or 5 years now... and he had a problem with the computer. For the price of the repair (I forget the exact amount... under 100 bucks) they just replaced it with a newer model!

Again, their customer service is top notch.

I used to have an Oceanic Data Trans Plus. I was not happy with it, because it broke down several times. My wife's Data 100 also broke down (both had bizzare number shapes on screen and stopped funcitoning) I suppose I was unlucky.
But I have to admit that their customer service was good. When I sent in my Trans after the warranty expired they said that they know how much a computer means to a diver and they just replaced it with a new one for free....
But this also broke down after 4 months... (I heard other people have had similair problems with the Trans).
I know nothing about the newer models. So if you like it, the cust. service is good I think.
My diving changed, so now I use a VR3 as a bottom timer/back-up reference and dive tables. Much happier, and very reliable. My old suunto was also very realiable. Works still after 12 years. I think reliability goes above service. No good being at the start of a remote vacation and your computer bails on you.
My comments are very anecdotal I know, so who knows what the situation is like or whether I was just unlucky.

Well I bit the bullet and Bought my VT Pro. I have been looking at this comp. for some time now. One shop that I have used called to see if he could get me one and Distributor was out of them but he was able to find me one. I figured I better jump on it since they are not in stock and what is out there is what is left. I also figured that for the price of the unit 599 + tax I got the transmitter that will work with other units if I choose, ( HUD mask?). Anyway thanks for the help.
Tim

I can't get my Data Trans Plus to die, I have about 500+ dives in 7 years on it. Just replaced the batteries so I should be good for another year.

Still have my Skinny Dipper from 89. Still works!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom