Myrtle Beach Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I'm looking for someone to recommend a charter for my open dives needed for my certification. I live in Virginia and am taking my pool and class sessions in Maryland, then will get a referral to dive wherever and was thinking of Myrtle Beach since I will be there the first week in Sept. Any suggestion for my first open water dive? Any companies that particularly stand out? I'm also looking for something reasonable since we will have to rent gear also. THANKS!

Welcome to the board.
I would suggest you consider hooking up with a shop inland somewhere and doing your certs at a quarry. I know it's not as cool the ocean but all in all I feel it's a better option. First, there is always the chance of getting blown out and not being able to even do your dives, this is fairly common in the Carolinas. Short of a hurricane it does not happen in a quarry. Add the extra task loading of boat diving (sea sickness can make it really hard to learn) and I don't feel an instructor can do as good a job training you as they could in a easy confined water situation.

Thanks for the info. The dive shop where I'm getting trained does have an ow dive at a lake or something, but the tought of diving there seemed rather bland. But you are right so I can be certified even sooner (hopeuflly). Maybe then I can take a dive in the ocean anyway, just for fun! snd practice before hitting the caribbean in december.

Thanks.

Yea, the quarries are kind of bla but they really do make good places to train. The guys and gals off the NCdivers board do a lot dives in Lake Rawling VA, come join us after getting your cert card. A few dives with experienced divers who can take the time to help you sort out your new skills will mean a lot to you. Come join us on the NC board, the link is below my sig.

It can be kind of rough making your first plunge in our waters. Seas can be kind of rough and the transit to dive sites is sometimes an all day project. Don't get me wrong, we have some good diving, but not for your first ones. Make it easy and relaxing. You want to build confidence in your training and equipment before you get in the big water.

Thanks Herman. As soon as I get my c-card, I'll let you know and hopefully we can plan on something. I'd like to get as many dives in before December as I can. BTW, Where is Lake Rawling? (I'm as far east as possible in Virginia, between the Ocean and the Bay). Experienced divers really don't mind helping out us newbies? They volunteer there time just to be nice?

Carolina Diver:
It can be kind of rough making your first plunge in our waters. Seas can be kind of rough and the transit to dive sites is sometimes an all day project. Don't get me wrong, we have some good diving, but not for your first ones. Make it easy and relaxing. You want to build confidence in your training and equipment before you get in the big water.
Carolina Diver,
Thanks for the warnings. When do you think I'd be ready? After a certain number of quarry dives or a comfort level or just time? I'm just wondering if I dived enough during the next few months would I be able to do any when I visit in September. THANKS

chincoteague diver:
Thanks Herman. As soon as I get my c-card, I'll let you know and hopefully we can plan on something. I'd like to get as many dives in before December as I can. BTW, Where is Lake Rawling? (I'm as far east as possible in Virginia, between the Ocean and the Bay). Experienced divers really don't mind helping out us newbies? They volunteer there time just to be nice?

Lake Rawling is located just off of I-85 about 35 miles north of the NC/VA line.

Most experienced divers don't mind (many enjoy-myself included) helping new divers. What we don't like is having a newbie show up on a dive they really are not up for and expecting us to be not only an insta buddy but also their DM/dive nanny for the day. Helping a new diver when I have drove 45-60 min, have $15 spent in entry fees to a quarry that I have dove dozens of times and my plans were to hang out playing with my buoyancy is one thing. Helping gives me something to do and I do enjoy watching a new diver improve. BUT, if I have driven 3-15 hrs, spent $200+ to dive a wreck I have been wanting to see for years, then I am not pleased with having to be an unpaid DM. That said, IF I have dove with you some, have some idea as to your capabilities and you ASK me to go along with you on a little more challenging dive, I will most likely be happy to go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom