Atomic SS1 - FreeFlow Issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tangfish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi Folks, I've had an Atomic Aquatics SS1 for over a year and I love the thing. It delivers a ton of air, inflates very quickly and generally does its job properly, until the other day....

The thing started freeflowing, slowly but continuously. After doing several dives with a leaking SS1, I tried to adjust the small nut on the inside to stop the problem. No go. Furthermore, I've now heard that many or all of the combo power inflator/safe seconds are designed the same way and thus end up having the same problem.

Is this true? Does anyone have any suggestions, comments or recommendations (please, don't just say "go and get a traditional octopus", that's not the purpose of this thread).

Thanks in advance.

Funky.

I hope this isn't a prevalent problem. I just today installed my SS1; will be diving it this weekend.

funkyspelunker:
The thing started freeflowing, slowly but continuously. After doing several dives with a leaking SS1, I tried to adjust the small nut on the inside to stop the problem. No go. Furthermore, I've now heard that many or all of the combo power inflator/safe seconds are designed the same way and thus end up having the same problem.

Is this true? Does anyone have any suggestions, comments or recommendations (please, don't just say "go and get a traditional octopus", that's not the purpose of this thread).

The shop up here uses them on there rental fleet and class fleet. . .

We haven't had that issue as of yet, have you tried to disasssemble it and reassemble it, to check the seats? I had an issue with my B2 where it was leaking a little I disassembled it put her back ogether and she works better than ever now.

WARNING!!! WARNING!!! WARNING!!!
Disclaimer: If you are not a qualified Technician don't try any gear repairs such as this on your own!!!!

I've been using an SS1 for about a year now, and I've had to get it adjusted twice because of a very small pressurized air leak. Not sure I'd call it a "free flow", just an annoying little bubble of air every few seconds.

BigWhiteSquare:
I've been using an SS1 for about a year now, and I've had to get it adjusted twice because of a very small pressurized air leak. Not sure I'd call it a "free flow", just an annoying little bubble of air every few seconds.

Yep, free flow was probably not the best description. This is a small but steady flow of leaking air. Of course, I'm losing more air the deeper I go because the bubbles stay the same size. I played around with a brand new one today and it did the same thing on one or two occasions, but not nearly to the degree that mine does. I looked into my records and the SS1 is less than a year old, but now I have to get it fully serviced, even though in my mind this should be a warranty issue. The service interval on Atomics is 2 years, because 'they're built so well'. :confused:

From talking to some other folks, I guess this is a pretty common problem. I did open it up and played around with the adjustment which makes it better and worse, but I can't get rid of the leak altogether.

Ah well, I guess it can't be the perfect product I thought it was.

How anal retentive are you about cleaning it after diving? I take mine off and run lots of water through every orifice on the thing. It's easy to do with a garden hose and creative manipulation of the buttons. Haven't had any problems yet but also haven't had it a year yet, either.

I'm actually very good about cleaning it, despite the fact that Atomic doesn't even recommend that you clean their regs in some cases. Furthermore, I've only used it about a dozen times in that one year period. :light:

funkyspelunker I beleive if you read your Atomic owners manual it states it should be rinsed with clean water after use.....

Most likely your SS1 just needs an Adjustment....I've seen a few set right on the edge....which in everday use is a little much.

Like I said, I've rinsed my thoroughly each of the dozen-odd times I've used it. Also, the tech in my LDS opened my SS1 up and we messed around with the adjustment knob for nearly an hour, moving it a hair and then hooking it up and submerging it. No matter what we do we can't get the leak to stop. So, we're sending it in for an overhaul. I've loved the SS1 up till now, and I still think it may be a fluke, but I've heard from a few others that this happens fairly often with combo power inflator/octos. We'll see I guess. :eyebrow:

Back
Top Bottom