Are Suunto dive computers so conservative, they're useless?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

st1650

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for a bottom timer, my LDS mostly sell Suunto's products.

Their D3 is like 35% on sale so it's pretty tempting.

But I though why pay for a D3 when I can pay a little more for Vyper and use the computer for nitrox/deco or simply gauge mode ...

But then I read on scubatoys ( http://www.scubatoys.com/store/joelarry/suunto.asp ) that the suunto algorythm is so conservative it would give you less than 50 min for a 60foot dive so I was thinking why pay more if I wouldnt rely very much on the computer and only use is the gauge mode and the tables.

My question is, are the suunto computers really that conservative? Is it worth it to spend 2x more for the Vyper compared to the D3?

Yes Suunto computers are very conservative. Yes, they make expensive Bottom Timers. Yes I bought one anyway.

I wanted a bottom timer with download capabilities. And I didn't want some knucklehead cattleboat operator telling me I couldn't dive because I didn't have a "computer".

Vyper solved all issues, works great, DSS mount is awesome, big numbers so it's easy to see.

Good luck.

PerroneFord:
Vyper solved all issues, works great, DSS mount is awesome, big numbers so it's easy to see.
That was pretty much my original idea, I like the DSS boot and the Vyper functions.

While I don't have a Suunto computer, most folks like them. However, when I'm diving with people who have a Suunto computer, it seems that their computer is more conservative than mine on some things... (meaning it tells them that they have less NDL than me.)

Also... Their computer I think beeps more if you don't do a 3min stafety stop even on very shallow dives. If you go below 20 feet again, even to 21-22 feet I think it makes them restart their saftey stop. This I think is what happened to when I was diving withing someone with a Suunto. Because of this they had to restart their safety countdown. Not that big of a deal, but since I was underwater and couldn't ask them, I couldn't figure out why he was wanting to do a 5 or 6 minute safety stop.

Don't know what your LDS is charging for the Suunto Computers, but Phil at Dive Sports is having a HUGE clearance on all their Suunto stuff as he's trying to clear out all his inventory (he's not carrying those products any more). If he's still got one in stock of what you want, I'm betting that you can get it for cheaper than LP prices. call 800-601-DIVe and ask for him.

If I wasn't going to buy one of those from him, I'd consider the new Oceanics or the Tusa IQ-700. They have very nice features and changeable values for how conservative they are.

Yes, they really are conservative. I wouldn't go so far as to say they're useless, however.

I chose other brands, however. Given a great price, I might have been persuaded to consider Suunto, because they definitely make a quality product. But I certainly would never want to pay MORE for a computer that does let me stay in the water as long as others.

With my Suunto Vytec DS model I can set the conservatism of my dive computer.
I can lower or increase it.

I love mine, but I the way I dive, it is reassuring to me to have a conservative computer. I find it alarms less than most other computers I am around on a dive because it only alerts you on the important stuff. Plus, it is nice and small. I think it penalizes more than most for bounces...So, if I am freediving for the buoy, before diving, I may take it off. Almost all my friends have them, and I have never seen one malfuntion or stop working. On the other hand, I encounter people with other computers always having issues. I have three,-the Mosquito, the Stainless Stinger, The Titanium Stinger (very light!). I admit, I like the way they look, and you can wear it like a watch your entire trip.

In comparing my Stinger to other divers computers the time difference was what I thought to be minimal (i.e. 2-3 minutes). Honestly, I don't want my computer to push the limits and ride the line. I would rather have some built in conservatism.

While on our dive boat a couple of weeks ago in Roatan, I noticed 5 out of 8 divers (including myself) were all using Suunto Cobras. We all agreed that it is a very fine computer, reliable, and like the fact that we are able to adjust the conservatism. Still going strong after 4 years.

Dave (aka "Squirt")

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom