yemen??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hallboy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anyone dived in Yemen r red sea side? a new airline opened from MArseille ( France ) to Sanaa, leting me wondering what could been explored arounr there.

hallboy:
Has anyone dived in Yemen r red sea side? a new airline opened from MArseille ( France ) to Sanaa, leting me wondering what could been explored arounr there.

Several years ago, a group of us took a liveaboard out of Masawa in Eritrea and crossed over to the islands along the coast of Yemen to dive. My overall impression: some good wrecks, marvelous coral and tropical fish, no pelagics, NOTHING above the water line nor beneath about 80 feet. One of the interesting features was the concentration of a single species at many dive sites. For example, I saw very few lobsters until we dived on the reef around a tinyl island; the reef was fully covered by a single kind of hard table coral under which thousands of lobsters could be seen. Needless to say, we pigged out on bugs that evening for dinner.

At the time we made our trip, Yemen had just come out of a civil war. We never saw any military or coast guard vessels, just a handful of fishing boats whose occupants were usually looking for water and cigarettes. Most were catching and finning sharks.

Back
Top Bottom