DIN to Yoke adapter keeps hitting me in the head!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divin'Papaw

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have an AL Legend DIN and I frequently have to use it with a Yoke adapter on rental tanks. When I do, it sticks out so far that it often hits me in the head. Since I dive with a hood it doesn't hurt, but it does limit my ability to look up. Can can't look up or ahead when horizontal in the water fully as the adapter gets in the way.

Anybody else have this problem? How did you solve it?

I have the same problem. You might be able to find a smaller adapter. I know the ones that can rotate are usually a little longer compared to the simpler ones. You can also try turning your tank a little so the valve faces a little to the left or right.

Persoanlly, I just take 300mg of suck-it-the-hell-up :)

Divin'Hoosier:
How did you solve it?

rotate your valve away from your head as far as you can without screwing up
the hose routing. (this is accomplished by rotating the BC in the opposite
direction on the tank you want the valve to move)

just a little may solve the problem for you.

Ahhhh! You see, I'm pretty new. And I'm very analytical. So it was always VERY important to me that my tank be PERFECTLY centered in my BP/W. After all, if it's off kilter a bit, it might ... I don't know ... stop working and kill me or something.

Never occured to me to turn it at a slight angle so that the adapter points off either to my right or left and not directly at the back of my head. Outstanding idea! Can't wait to give it a try.

I love this place! Great for dorks like me.

I've heard that some adaptors are shorter than the others, e.g. Beuchat or AL are shorter (is anyone using it?) If you're already using one of them, I don't know what to say...

Yes, that was the same comment given by others, it's like something pointing at your neck or head always...

Perhaps you could also mount your tank a little lower?

you could, but then your neck gets whacked, plus i hate to mess with trim

CompuDude:
Perhaps you could also mount your tank a little lower?

I actually did consider that, but as Andy brought up, I didn't want to mess up my trim. I'm just starting to get everything sorta figured out, and I didn't want to deal with having to adjust for the tank shifted down 2-3 inches.

I'm looking forward to trying the suggestions about rotating the tank on the BP. Sounds promising. My next dive weekend will be 6/17-18 and I'll give it a try. Now ... to rotate it to the left or to the right? Humm.... I'll have to ponder that question for ... oh ... let's see ... days and days until I can actually try it out. I'm such a nut.

I think the Dive Rite adapater was shorter. (it's also cheaper than the Aqualung/Apeks one and with the same number threads.).

I bought it instead and use it with an AL Legend LX and don't have problems with it hitting my head. (if it does hit, it's gentle enough that it doesn't bother me.)

i got the Dive Rite one cause it was shorter, but haven't used it yet

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom