Yoke to DIN conversion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AlexMDiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I have started switching to DIN from Yoke, but I want to use my old G250 (which is Yoke) in DIN mode. I know of adapters the other way, but is there a way to go from Yoke to DIN, either by adapter or be retrofitting?

I am grateful for any help.

Alex

You could switch out the first stage with a DIN model. IMO, you don't want to use a converter. Rather than get the advantage of DIN, you have added a yoke and an additional point of failure.

It can be done, but it's not a good idea. Best to fully convert it to DIN, and adapt the other way.

well, here's my situation:

i do 90% of my diving with DIN tanks

then, when i go on boats, i have to take their AL 80s, which means i have to bring
a Yoke reg along . .. which i don't want to do, 'cause my Yoke regs (Dacor and SeaElite) are not nearly as nice as my DIN Apeks

so .... i can either buy a yoke Apeks for that 10% of my diving, or i can buy
a DIN to Yoke converter

i chose the converter

maybe his situation is the same, in reverse

Thanks for all the great comments.

Of course I am aware that a full conversion to DIN is much safer (less points of failure). I think in th elong run I will just get a new DIN 1st stage or then again get a 1st and 2nd while I am at it and put my beloved G250 in a glass cabinet on the mantle piece until I go on a trip where they do not have DIN. Problem is that I want to buy a Helios 9 18W HID as well this summer. So I will get the adapter for now.

You don't specify what first stage you have. If you have a Mk 10, and are using tanks with service pressures less than 3300-3500 psi, a DIN conversion kit will do the job just fine and there is no real advantage to getting a new first stage as frankly a new first stage will not do the job noticeably better than your Mk 10.

If you use higher pressure tanks and have a Mk 15, MK 16, Mk 17, Mk 18, Mk 20 or Mk 25, there is no benefit at all to getting a new first stage as all of them will work fine at service pressures up to 4350 psi.

All of the above regulators use the same universal 300 bar DIN kit. You need part number 10-045-030 and the dealer cost is about $35.00-$40.00.

As for a yoke to DIN adapter, you can't get one suitable for underwater use. There are some out there, but they are designed for use on fill whips.

Once you convert to DIN, you can get a DIN to yoke adapter. Scubapro sells one that comes with a new yoke, but since you already have a leftover yoke, you can also get the adapter without the yoke for about $25.00 less.

If it were me, I would not put the old G250 on the mantle, because they actually breathe as well as anything else available today and they do it with a metal air barrel that produces less dry mouth. Assuming your old G250 has been properly tunred, you'd be less satisfied with a "new" second stage.

I have a Mk20 as my first stage. I tend to call my regs by the 2nd stage that is attached to it. I have a Mk20 G250 Yoke and a DIN Mk25 X650.
I can use a DIN tank and fit a little screw in that will make it Yoke. No problem there.
But since I value the benefits of the "Deutsche Industrie Norm" (DIN), the extra safety, I would like to have both regs permanently DIN. So I would like to permanently change my old MK20 from Yoke to DIN.
Thanks for the part number this is absolutely great!! I will see how much it is in Swiss Francs.
On the other hand, with the recent worry about some of the MK20 and cracks (and I am not really worried about it) I might retire it sometime and get another DIN Mk25. But since i would like to spend this money on a HID I was wondering whether the Yoke can be easily changed to permanent DIN, so thanks again for your comments.

Thanks also to all other inputs I got here.

OK, one more question. If I were to get a new 1st stage at some point: Mk17 or Mk18 or Mk25? (assuming money is no issue)

Scubapro should upgrade your Mk 20 to the newer Mk 25 yoke retainer at the next annual service automatically anyway as well as inspect it for cracks.

However, if it's converted to DIN, the DIN retainer included in the conversion kit will be the new universal style anyway so it will again take care of the problem.

Even if you do go with the DIN conversion, be sure to get your old yoke retainer replaced anyway in case you ever want to convert it back to a yoke configuration.

Personally, I replaced all my Mk 20's and 25's with Mk 17's last year as I do most of my diving in very cold alpine lakes. I think it is a much better regulator than the Mk 25, particularly in very cold water (below 50 degrees F.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom