a couple of equipment questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

madmike311x

Registered
Reaction score
ok i've seen "dive computers" on people's rist like a watch, do you have to have a sensor or another peice connected to the regulator? how much does this system cost compared to a convientional analog dial set? any info will be greatfully appreciated.

You screw in a wireless transmitter to the HP port on your first stage, same place you'd usually screw in your SPG. They're pretty spendy, I think Ocecanic's wireless computers MSRP right about $999. I haven't looked at them too in-depth because I know I can't afford one, but I think I saw one on LeisurePro for $699..Some will be more and some will be less, as with anything I'm sure.

A wireless sensor/transmitter can be installed in a high pressure port of the first stage to provide cylinder pressure data.

Most wrist mount computers are not "air integrated" meaning they give you all of the information regarding your dive except air reserves which you then manage with the computer between your ears. These "non integrated" computers are wrist,or console mounts most commonly. They can also be clamped to a hose or hung from a retractor.

There is an in between flavor where the computer is instaled in your console and connects to the HP hose. This provides "full data" with out the cost and risk of the wireless transmitter part.

My personal preference is to have an analog (mechanical dial) pressure gauge and let the computer do the rest. I don't want any electrons between me and my cylinder pressure info.

Pete

i prefer analog air gauge over the transmitter because i have seen these items run intermitent at times and when your underwater that can be a scary occurrence plus there very pricy i would take the money that you would spend on this type of computer and put it towards something else . as a note also about wrist computers if you hunt for lobster or artifacts these can get damaged when you dig or reach in the hole for the lobster.

Check this out: Oceanic's Atom at ScubaToys!!! He has the VT3, the Atom and a few others for about $700. Fewer hoses is a GOOD thing and all the issues about bad transmissions are resolved. These are officially on my wish list for new gear!

PS: If you plan to lobster or dig for artifacts, take the watch OFF of your wrist and hook it to your BC.

Back
Top Bottom