Buy computer on cruise?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

schu1842

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm going on a cruise next friday and plan to be doing some diving. I've been diving by tables for several years but will be using a borrowed uwatec on the cruise. I know Royal Caribbean stands behind products purchased from selected vendors and I will probably purchase a computer this year. Has anyone run into any price breaks on computers from authorized dealers in the Caribbean? Thanks.

schu1842:
I'm going on a cruise next friday and plan to be doing some diving. I've been diving by tables for several years but will be using a borrowed uwatec on the cruise. I know Royal Caribbean stands behind products purchased from selected vendors and I will probably purchase a computer this year. Has anyone run into any price breaks on computers from authorized dealers in the Caribbean? Thanks.

The "Authorized Vendors" are typically jewlrey shops. I'd be really surprised if you found a dive shop on their list, and would be even more surprised if your computer was cheaper than in the US.

Terry

The other question is always: If you computer dies (like some do) who will stand behind the product and are you going to have warranty hassles?

Just a thought

buy it where you will be most of the time when you need help with it....AT HOME.

and make sure you can change the battery yourself

Our last cruise was on Norwegian cruiselines and they actually had Citizen wrist computers in the on-ship store. From memory it was about $150 less than dive shops on-line. I still bought a Suunto Vyper and am very happy with it.

I've been on two cruises and have never seen a computer for sale on the cruise that I would use diving.

They might have some watches that claim to be computers, but they are mostly just fancy bottom timers that also might give you the temparature.

Don't ge getting on the cruise boat thinking you'll be able to find a dive computer that is worth a darn, much less a nitrox one.

If I were you, I would buy a computer before you go on the cruise. While the RC ship I was on sold computers, they were really no bargain and sold for very close to MSRP. As far as buying a computer at a port, again, I don't recall any deals on the various cruises I have been on.

I bought my Aeris II at Scubatoys.

RICHinNC:
buy it where you will be most of the time when you need help with it....AT HOME.

and make sure you can change the battery yourself

That is good advice for purchasing any important piece of equipment.

I have worked on a few RC/Norwegian cruises over the last two years and before that my wife and I used to vacation on them frequently. Royal has a pretty decent dive program and some of the larger ships have a small dive shop that mostly sells Scuba Pro gear. Some people say they get good deals on jewelry and other things on cruises but I have ALWAYS been able to find things (worth buying) MUCH cheaper at home. As for dive shops where cruise ports visit frequently, I have found prices to be high here too. The same goes for dive gear on cruise ships. You will pay MSRP for your gear on a cruise ship. The reality is that they know you are on vacation and can't compare prices so they get you. You are also more likely to make crazy purchases because you are happy. Cruise ports rarely represent the island they are on anymore in a positive way. Cruise ports are designed specifically to suck the pod peoples (you) money and have evolved from that idea. Especially the electronic stores. If a jewelry shop or any shop (you won't find a dive shop on the list) is on the cruise ship list, it just means that they have been paid or have paid to be there. As others have said, buy before you go and try to book your diving with dive ops that don't service the cruise ship industry if it is possible. If you want to really experience the island/place you visit, then get as far away from the cruise port as possible, lol. Just a little honesty, have fun! Cruise ships can be really fun, but the more you know about it the less you want to be envolved with it. Being an eco-friendly diver and spending money on a cruise ship ....these things just don't go together.

Definitely don't expect low prices on scuba gear in Cozumel, if that's one of your stops. As long as you can borrow your friend's uwatek for the cruise just use it, then you can take your time finding the computer you really want at a good price.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom