Helium costs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DocRCH

Reaction score
I have a friend (not a diver) who works for a large compressed gas company. I asked him about He, and he told me that one of the other large suppliers (it's a cartel) had gone up 22%. A week or two later, he told me that his company had a meeting and that they were to increase their price by 100%. Apparently, there are only about 5 companies that can produce He. So, it appears that it is a closed market and they can raise the price because they can.

Robert :doctor:

Prices have not risen in Ky. on He. Restuarants, Party supply stores...Some dive shops..All use He. and it's fairly cheap still.

$45 for a T! I just payed $79 for zero grade and and thats the best price I have ever gotten. I usually pay 79 for a K of zero grage. The last time I got a T of UHP it was $117.

I should just go through life bent over.

Us Texans need to make money you know...:) I think He prices have been low for the past few years because the USA has been slowly selling of National Defense stock of He (Texas is one of the few places in the world that He is mined in large amounts). They must have ran out or just stopped selling....

raxafarian once bubbled...

you made me spit out the water I was drinking.:rolling:

Sorry

I pay $39 in ny for a K cylinder of He, and $50 for LOX delievered

padiscubapro once bubbled...
I pay $39 in ny for a K cylinder of He, and $50 for LOX delievered
Are you using some kind of Dewar? How long does it keep? How is LOX measured (weight or volume), and how does that translate to CF?

Roak

Normally you get about 2 days to start pulling gas before the OPV starts operating as the temperature cools.. If you are using lots of gas You can expect at least 1 week.

I just feed the gas output into my manifold and pump it through my haskel, I generate my high Fo2 mixes in my banks then fill my own K cylinders with whats left over.. One lox cylinder is about the same as 20 k size cylinders or 13.8 T cylinders.. A considerable savings, plus you know its 100% whereas not all oxygen is 100% (its generally considered oxygen at 92% or more, molecular sieves will generate 93-96% o2), the remainder being Argon.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom