Anyone here realize what's happening to dolphins in Japan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Watercat

Reaction score
Anyone here realize what's happening to the dolphins in Japan? Permits were issued by the Japanese government last year for the slaughter of 20,000+ dolphins. Over 700,000 have been slaughtered since the mid-60's. I haven't come up with the numbers allotted for 2001 yet, but the killing "season" starts in a few months.

I have set up an online petition for those interesting in voicing their objections to the slaughter. It will be delivered to the Japanese Government before the dolphin killing season begins. It's located at: Japanese Government Petition

If you care to read the 'rest' of the story, please go to: DiveSafeAndOften.com and scroll down to "Urgent, Dolphins Need Our Help".

You can also read more on this subject at: BlueVoice.org

Please take a few minutes and sign the petition. Similar protests in the early 80's were heard loud and clear by the Japanese government and the slaughters were halted for several years. They've recently been reinstituted due to the demand for captive dolphins in aquariums and marine parks in Asia and the Middle East. Entire pods of dolphin are herded to shore, only a few are taken live and the rest are killed as 'incidental' catch.

Watercat

You're Welcome!!!! Please.....pass the word along to anyone you know who would take a minute or two to sign the petition.

I'll be posting updates on the situation.

Watercat

Great information.......We really need to be kept abrest of whats happening out there, and without someone (you in this instance ) informing us a great deal of this information just wouldn't get out.
Thanks
Hocky

Thanks for the kind and encouraging words. I try to keep at least one diving/marine environmental article on my website at all times. If you'd haven't already and would like to sign the dolphin petition you can follow the link in my first post, or go to my website: http://www.divesafeandoften.com There's also a link there taking you to the petition.

A series of 4 articles I wrote about the Florida manatees is linked towards the bottom of the main page...."Swimming With The Manatees".....they could use some help, too. If you're interested...leave a message for me here and I'll get back to you regarding the manatees.

Thanks again for you kind comments.

Watercat

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom