environmentally sealed regs and servicing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The environmental seal keeps the inside of the first stage from the outside and vice versa. It usually means there is a silicone or alcohol solution in the first stage which assists in the operation of the piston or diaphragm and also helps keep the elements out. Most people, I believe, think of an environmentaly sealed regulator as one that would be good in cold water diving because that seal and the solution helps ensure the piston doesn't freeze - certainly one of its major advantages.

Service schedule is the same as most other regulators.

jimmys:
does an environmentally sealed reg need annual services at all?

My Atomic B2 requires servicing every 2 years or 300 dives (whichever comes first). In my case the 2 years comes way before the 300 dives.

Most of my diving (other than vacation in the Caribbean) is in relatively cold water ranging from 50 - 70 degrees Fahrenheit.

My first stage is loaded with a white silicone type grease within the sealed first stage.

Seats and O-rings will wear and need to be replaced regardless of the environmental kit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom