Egypt Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SteveDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just booked a 22 day trip to Egypt and was wondering if anyone has any diveshop recommendations? I will be in Hurghada, Dahab , Alexandria and Marsa Matrouh. I will only have about one day in each place to get some dives in. This is a very active trip I will be doing a 2 day Sinai desert trek (on foot) camping out, sleeping three days on sail boat on a Felucca Cruise, 2 day donkey trek... I have no idea what I got myself into! :shakehead

Just spent 11 days in Dahab (and did the 3-days felucca from Aswan to Kom ombo+visit temples (Philae, Kom ombo, edfu, luxor, Karnak) and pyramids of course). If you can manage to stay just one day in Dahab, you're tough! If I were you, I would pick just one or 2 places to dive and would stay there longer, it's more fun and relaxing. My schedule was already tight but I am glad I kept Dahab for the end otherwise, I wouldn't have seen anything else in Egypt!
Dahab was really really fun (I want to return there and maybe check out Marsa alam for my next trip) and I dive with big blue and they were great.
I stayed at Bishbishi, nice budget place and not expensive. I did ~ 11 dives in Dahab and 2 at Ras mohammed and Ras is famous but I actually prefered some of the dives in Dahab...
PM me if you have more questions

Red Sea Shadow is good to work with, very nice and fair...his connection for diving in Dahab is the best. If I were you I'd skip Hurgada and Alex and just go to Dahab. You won't be sorry. RSS's friend in Dahab can also set you up with a desert trek.

We went diving in Hurghada in Nov of 2005. It was rather disappointing. Most of the reefs in the area are beaten to death by the dive boats. There is very few areas that can be used during windy weather and at times there was 10 boats with 30 divers each at very small dive sites. Toilet paper was floating merrily under the boats and some other things too.
I would not bother diving in Hurghada at all!!!!
Try Alexandria - ruins of the Cleopatra palace - might be interesting and if you go south of Hurghada. Diving at southern locations is supposedly better.
We dove only in Hurghada so I cannot give you any more advice. Dive shop choice would depend on the location of your hotel. We used New Dino located in the older part of Hurghada (north) called El DAhar. General problem with all dive shops is that none of them has fast boats and they all use 2 or 3 marinas. Divers are taken by bus to and from. Make sure that it is included in the price. Frequently they want to get few dollars extra on the way back. It takes good 90 minutes on the boat to get to the dive site. I used rented equipment and had no problems but most of the dives are no more than 30ft.

tkoles, you must have had a lousy trip to Hurghada if you didn't get taken to any sites over 30ft! Yes, Hurghada is busy, with lots of divers on some sites, but areas like Giftun Drift are still cracking dives that drop well below recreational diving depths, and Sha'ab Abu Nuhas has some of the best wrecks in the Red Sea.

Dahab is a great diving destination, but it doesn't offer any wrecks, so if you manage to get one day in Hurghada, try and hit the wrecks, then when you do Dahab for the day, you can do some of the nice reefs. Best of both worlds then.

And rockbeauty, you might have hit Ras on an off-day, but dive it in July when it is full breeding season and it rivals any site anywhere in the world - which is why I am on a liveaboard in the middle of July!

Mark

tkoles:
Try Alexandria - ruins of the Cleopatra palace - might be interesting.

I don't think so. Diving Cleopatra palance and the sunken city is not interesting at all; Very shallow (6 - 8 m), along with terrible visibility and very strong currents.

In Alex the best place to dive is Abu Keer, Napoleon fleet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom