Can I use a regular compass watch?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Rather than buying a compass that attaches to my computer, I'm looking at a Timex electornic compass watch. I know Timex is on the "low end" as far as watches go. The watch is water resistant up to 100 meters, but my boyfriend says that the compass on this watch won't work correctly under water.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

if u r thinking of nevagating underwater with a compass, why not just get a water-filled cheap compass instead of the electronic timex?

Check this out, price and function difference between onland and underwater compass: http://74.52.40.173/showthread.php?t=143965

Some like everything build-in, but I'd like to leave some remain mechanical. Or have both - redundent. If you just want the function of a regular compass, yes, it maybe a good idea. There are some small sized compass which can be attached besides your watch, and there's the regular oil filled compass, you need to put it in the pocket.

Some actually do not like the 3 gauages console, because when the compass is included, it's harder for them to fit it within the BC pocket.

lizardstew:
Rather than buying a compass that attaches to my computer, I'm looking at a Timex electornic compass watch. I know Timex is on the "low end" as far as watches go. The watch is water resistant up to 100 meters, but my boyfriend says that the compass on this watch won't work correctly under water.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Any waterproof compass will do and your watch compass will work fine underwater. It may be a bit small though and hard to read. Try it out on a dive or in the pool and see how you like it while under water. You could always change to a more common compass for divers like a wrist mounted compass or one in a console if you're not happy with your watch compass.:D

Thanks everyone. :D I think I might just get a small ball-type compass instead. I read somewhere on this board that would work fine, and they're pretty affordable. At some point, I'll get the compass that attaches to my computer, but I just can't afford it right now.

Many things will "work", some you will need to worry morre about keeping very level. Keep in mind that the smaller the compass the more difficult it is to be very accurate, besides being harder to read, so decide how important that is to you.

lizardstew:
Thanks everyone. :D I think I might just get a small ball-type compass instead. I read somewhere on this board that would work fine, and they're pretty affordable. At some point, I'll get the compass that attaches to my computer, but I just can't afford it right now.

Spend money for the important items in your mind.
To me, maybe I would spend less on my compass and a bit more on my light, regulator, BC or fins...

Right. I've already spent tons on my mask, fins, snorkel, regulator and computer and bag. I definitely want to get the compass eventually, but just can't swing it right now. I just need something to "get me by" for the next few months while I do a couple of dives. We've got a big dive trip scheduled for next year, and I'll have the good compass before then. :)

Personally, if you are going to be taking a nav class or depending on the compass at all I would suggest that you buy a real diving compass. The fact of the matter is, unlike say a snorkel, you shouldnt try to save money in this area.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom