VEO 180Nx

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JacobK

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I purchased a Oceanic VEO 180Nx yesterday.

I went throught the set up and when I finished, or now when I turn it on, it will stay at the surface mode for about 5 seconds and then scroll through the dive table... 30ft 4:20, 40ft 2:17, etc.. until 190. Then, it goes back to the surface mode and starts all over. This continues until the unit shuts off.

The book says that when you finish with the set up, it will go to the dive planning mode, or something like that.

Is the scrolling normal?

Thanks
Jacob

Nope. If you have dived it, then soak it in water for an hour or so to disolve salt that may be on the sensors. If it continues, or if you haven't dived it, take it back for exchange.

JacobK:

I went throught the set up and when I finished, or now when I turn it on, it will stay at the surface mode for about 5 seconds and then scroll through the dive table... 30ft 4:20, 40ft 2:17, etc.. until 190. Then, it goes back to the surface mode and starts all over. This continues until the unit shuts off.

The book says that when you finish with the set up, it will go to the dive planning mode, or something like that.

Is the scrolling normal?

Thanks
Jacob

Some computers (usually one button) computers do this. The Veo 180 should not although I didn't think they were still being sold as the 180. I thought they were called the Veo 200 now. I have the Veo 200 and used to have the Veo 180 before I lost it but I seem to remember that they are the same.

Send it back. Something like the Aeris Xr1 does operate as you are suggesting and it's also sold by the same parent company as Oceanic. Just make sure it's actually a Veo 180 and if so send it back.

Edit:apparently I'm confused regarding the Veo 180. If that is a one button model it sounds like yours is fine.

DandyDon:
Nope. If you have dived it, then soak it in water for an hour or so to disolve salt that may be on the sensors. If it continues, or if you haven't dived it, take it back for exchange.

Thats sucks. I was going to use it this weekend. I will contact Oceanic and see what they say. No dives on it and it may already have to be returned...LOL

I think that is normal on the Veo 180Nx. I'm pretty sure that's what mine does. That is the dive planning mode.

BTW, in case any Oceanic rep reads this - why did Oceanic get rid of the Veo 200, which I really liked, and replace it with the 180Nx???!!! The 180 has only one button, which is not nearly as convenient as the 2 button 200. The 250 has two buttons but one is on the side, which is not convenient, and it's a lot more expensive.

We had a 200 and wanted to buy a second one just like it but had to settle for the 180. Very disappointing.

I have and use a Veo 180. That is normal. It scrolls through the depths and bottoms times - that is the planning mode. Hit the button to return to the surface mode (or whatever they call it). After a little bit in surface mode, it'll go into dive planning mode and start scrolling again.

That little Veo 180's a great computer.

Brian

DandyDon:

Are you serious!? Do any of you guys actually OWN a Veo 180?!

Brian

Sounds to me like the 180 is fine.

brianstclair:
Are you serious!? Do any of you guys actually OWN a Veo 180?!

Brian
I own the Veo 200, have dived with a GF's 180. The bold part bothers me...
JacobK:

Is the scrolling normal?

Thanks
Jacob
I'm going to PM cerich and ask him to look at this again.

If you need to replace it, just take it to where you bought it and exchange. You do not need to send it to Oceanic, if you bought it new.

Don - on the 200, you push one of the buttons to go into planning mode and you click the button to change the depth in the planning mode. On the 180, I think it goes into planning mode automatically and scrolls through the depths. All you can do is sit and wait for it to scroll to the depth you want to see.

That's just one of the reasons that the 200 was better than the 180.

Back
Top Bottom