Kowaliga Dive Report 6/3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom Smedley

Tommy
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Dive Report Kowaliga – 6/3/06

The lure of the cobalt waters of Lake Martin won out over all else today and we couldn’t resist the call.

Lots of folks want to know – all the enquiring minds – so here it is.

Surface temperature is well above 80 degrees. The wind was whipping across the lake so small waves lapped at the shore. The first thermocline – a real doozie dropped to 72 degrees at about 15 feet. The second noticeable thermocline hit at 30 feet and the water dropped to 62 degrees. The visibility is good – about 15 to 20 feet at the surface, at the 15 foot thermocline there is a murky, almost milky, layer that lasts until about 25 feet then the visibility opens up again. It is super a noticeable event to be at 30 feet and have the sun go behind a cloud. I mean lights out.

There are bottles and a couple of good ones and a very special one appeared out of the silt. I’ll attach a picture. The 24 inch catfish still hangs out at the Christmas trees and an excellent crop of largemouth bass abound.

The really special experience is ascending above 15 feet. Like a sauna.

The lake is there and the price is right. Unfortunately I leave for Boston in the morning. I’ve been around the world four times and this is my first official visit north of the Mason-Dixon Line.

More on this as it develops

TT

Thanks for the report Tom, I need to get up there sometime this summer.

I'm going to have to get over there and dive that hole.

Thanks for the report Tom,

Jeremy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom