Suunto Dive Manager + D9 + USB debacle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LVX

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Has anyone else run into a problem with the Suunto Dive Manager not finding the device when using a USB. When I first installed the program and the USB driver I had no problems. In fact, I did not start having problems until someone I met on the Flower Gardens boats said they were having problems. I told them I did not have any problems and everything worked fine. Then, after downloading my flower gardens dives, I could no longer get connected. I have tried reinstalling the application and the drivers a couple of times and still does not connect.

Any advice.

By the way, I did have windows active sync installed and so I even removed it just to see if it caused a problem and it did not. I have already checked windows hardware manager and it says the Suunto USB is working correctly. Still, I cannot connect.

Any advice is appreciated.

thanks

L

Try updating the software. i dont own a suunto, but ive talked to lots of customers that do, and the software upgrades are availible online.

try that out, it might work!

I have already downloaded the latest and greatest version. Still no good. Thanks for the suggestion though.

L

Here is what Suunto had to say:

----------------------------------

Please check that the USB drivers are correctly installed. Suunto Dive Manager 2 needs the drivers to work correctly.
There should be two of them: Suunto Sports Instrument under USB drivers and Suunto USB Serial Port under COM & LPT ports. If there is a yellow question mark icon in front of the driver's name it means that the driver needs to be updated. In this case right click on the driver and choose Update. If there is a yellow exclamation mark it means that the driver is present and installed but some other device is polling the COM port it is trying to use.
In this case unplugging and re-plugging the USB-cable might help as this re-organizes the COM-ports. Please note that the Suunto drivers are visible in the list only when the PC Interface cable is plugged to the PC. Check which COM port the Suunto USB Serial port -driver is using (in brackets beside the driver name in the list). Choose this in the SDM software (click connect and choose the port in the dive computer window) and also set the COM delay to a longer value.

Then check that your port settings are suitable:

-Go to Port settings and make sure that the speed is 9600 and buffers are set to low (both receive and transmit).
In order to do this go to:

1. Start
2. Settings
3. Controlpanel
4. System
5. Device Manager
6. Com Port (click)
7. Click Port Settings
7. Click Advanced
8. Scroll Buffers to Low on both the Receive and Transmit Buffer

Please check that no other programs are polling the port you want to use for the software. This has often turned out to be the case with Palm or other PDA-devices, which may interfere although they are using other ports and even when they are not used at the same time as the Suunto software. Most electronic organizers have synchronization software, such as HotSync, that prevent SDM from using the COM port. Usually, an icon for this software is visible in the system tray (lower right hand of the screen). Right click on the icon and disable the software, then try downloading the dive computer again.

NOTE TO WIN 2000/XP USERS: It is possible that the HotSync (or similar
program) is running as a service. Press Ctrl-Alt-Delete and click on the "Task Manager" button. Click on the "Processes" tab. If you see the HotSync software, highlight it and click "End Process". When you get the warning message, click "Yes".

The transfer method between the dive computer and the PC has been slightly changed in the new version of the software. If the transfer doesn't succeed using the transfer wizard, please try the transfer the "old" way. In order to do this please proceed as follows: open the software and close the transfer wizard.
Now right-click on the transfer button in the Dive Computer window and select Transfer -> D9.
When you are using the "old" transfer way, in the Dive Computer settings window you will be able to set the Com delay to a larger value.

If this doesn't help, please let us know and we will tell you what to do next in order to connect your dive computer to the SDM.

With Best Regards,
Suunto Helpdesk

Still did work though. I am waiting for another response but thought I would pass this information along to anyone who might suffer the same problem.

L

L,

LOL...I got back from NC (Morehead City) last weekend and you inspired me to install Dive Manager again. I did this to not only check out the latest DM updates but to examine my profile closely. I didn't have any problem with the install. Did you re-load the USB drivers? They come separately from the DM software. Of course, if you don't have the USB drivers installed, you don't get the drop down for the USB port on the DM installation. I forgot during the install and had to go back and grab them.

Cheers,

Richard

Oh, and I also have ActiveStink installed and running. I don't believe that's your problem.

Hey,

Yeah you jixxed my usb cable. Suunto says they have another possible solution so once they send it to me I will post it. It is very curious though. The Dive Manager 'sees' my computer but it just will not connect for download. When I plug the usb cable in (yes, the usb and virtual com port are both installed) XP recognizes it and I can see both listed in my device manager. Whenever I click to download, I keep getting a pop up that says device not found.

It was working just fine.... very strange...

Anyway, at least they are stored and I can get them out later.

Take care

L

Hmmm, that kinda sounds like it could be the USB cable. I'm blowin' through Houston on Friday on the way to the Oriskany. I could let you borrow my cable. If you're interested, PM me to work the logistics.

Richard

Sorry, I didn't get back with you but you were right. it was the cable. I got a new one and it all works again.

By the way, did you know there is a recall on the D9 & D6

The software bug may activate when the D9 or D6 automatically recalibrate to keep the correct time, or the user manually updates the seconds in set mode. Suunto approximates that there is 0.6% chance that the software bug may appear during a dive. When the dive time is incorrect, every forth second is not registered in the dive time and surface interval time, i.e., dive time goes 25% slower than actual time and tissue loading is recorded at 25% less than actual loading.

They want you to take it back to the shop so they can send it out for a firmware update....

boooo.....

By the way, how was the dive on the big "O"

LVX:
Sorry, I didn't get back with you but you were right. it was the cable. I got a new one and it all works again.

By the way, did you know there is a recall on the D9 & D6

The software bug may activate when the D9 or D6 automatically recalibrate to keep the correct time, or the user manually updates the seconds in set mode. Suunto approximates that there is 0.6% chance that the software bug may appear during a dive. When the dive time is incorrect, every forth second is not registered in the dive time and surface interval time, i.e., dive time goes 25% slower than actual time and tissue loading is recorded at 25% less than actual loading.

They want you to take it back to the shop so they can send it out for a firmware update....

boooo.....

By the way, how was the dive on the big "O"

No worries. I'm glad you got it sorted though.

I saw the recall posted on SB yesterday or the day before. Oh,well. I think I'll wait til the end of the year and send it in. I'm afraid to send it in now with probably a gazillion units coming their way. I probably wouldn't get it back for months and I've got dive trips planned. I'll wait towards the end of the year which would be perfect timing for a new battery. :eyebrow:

Richard

P.S. Oriskany pics at Zendiving.com from our trip last weekend. More to come.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom