air force algorithm??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

donnad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
hi, husband and i have been diving about 2 1/2 years now. we haven't bought dive computers yet, but hope to in the not too distant future. my husband recalls hearing at a dive shop something about an algorithm that the air force came up with. he doesn't remember what it is called or which computer manufacturer uses it, but he thinks it's only one manufacturer and maybe this algorithm is newer??? not sure. do any of you know what he might be talking about? thanks, donna

Cochran has a Navy version of their computer which uses an algorithm which I believe was customized for the Navy and which is a little more aggressive than the algorithms in their consumer products. Don't know any real details but there's some information on their website at www.divecochran.com. Don't know if that's what you're husband was thinking of or not...

Brian

donnad:
hi, husband and i have been diving about 2 1/2 years now. we haven't bought dive computers yet, but hope to in the not too distant future. my husband recalls hearing at a dive shop something about an algorithm that the air force came up with. he doesn't remember what it is called or which computer manufacturer uses it, but he thinks it's only one manufacturer and maybe this algorithm is newer??? not sure. do any of you know what he might be talking about? thanks, donna

Just like to point out something based on the previous post.

Navy tables were developed for young men in extremely good physical shape. As a result, the "average" diver following a navy table would likely increase their chances of a dcs hit.

I would think the same would be true of a "military" or "air force" algorithm on a dive computer.

Something to keep in mind...

thanks for the reply. i don't know if that's it or not. but he said it was developed after a doctor discovered that there was nitrogen in the carotid artery (non diving related) , so that would sound like it would be more conservative instead of aggressive. sorry to be so vague. thanks, donna

If there is non-diving related nitrogen in the carotid artery then it shouldn't matter. Unless I misunderstand you.

That being said; just because it's newer doesn't mean it's better. Talk to a bunch of dive shops in your area about computers, computer companies, algorithms and what's best for you and your husband.

I know when I think of diving experts the first group that comes to mind is the, Air force?

Joe

Charlie99:
I think of NASA and Dr. Deco. :)
Yeah. That's true. Forgot about that aspect of the A.F.. It's not diving but it is related to the topic. :)

Joe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom