How to secure backup gear (mask, light, shears)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dvas

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi All Tekis,
I am looking for ideas, on how to secure my spare Pelican MityLite Magnum (2x AA), spare mask and shears for cutting.
One of the ideas you can see at the linked picture from the WKPP page http://www.wkpp.org/articles/Gear/equip_moreimages_2.htm
I have Zeagle Ranger BCD. I have attached my knife already to it.
Any ideas or pictures for securing my backups?
thanks for as much as ideas as you can ;-)

sasha

Do you already have pockets on your exposure suit? You can use those (that's what George is doing in the picture).

I have that type of setup and it works great. You can attach the pockets yourself too.

Pocket Instructions

Hi,
thanks.. I already have one pocket on each side near the weight pockets and one is rolled on the left side on the pic.

sasha

Is there room in your existing pockets for the backups?

What you could do is get a grommet kit (about $10 US) and make a couple holes with grommets in your existing pockets (right through the cordura). Then, run a couple bungee loops through the grommets like the pocket in your picture from the WKPP site. Attach a few double ended bolt snaps to your backup items and clip them off to the bungee loops.

i like the idea on the WKPP site. I was wondering if there are some other good ideas that I missed...

sasha

dvas once bubbled...
i like the idea on the WKPP site. I was wondering if there are some other good ideas that I missed...

sasha

I don't think the ranger pockets actually hold anything that isn't tiny. Zeagle makes an add-on pocket that attaches to the waist belt...but imho it sucks... the waist strap gets twisted and then won't pull thru the buckles to adjust. My wife has the same problem on her zeagle concept. Dive-rite makes a nice thigh pocket if you don't want to attach pockets to your suit.

I had a Ranger also, and then saw the same pages you are looking at, and started doing the things you are doing. I then saw that they did not work very well as the dir stuff has very specific reasons for the configurations.

And so those pages initiate another Ranger on Ebay...

But, to just answer your question there, glue the pockets on your wetsuit and put the stuff in there. You will be amazed at how invisible they are while diving, until you need to get in them, then you will be amazed at how they are right where your hands are, and you can get stuff really easy.

The light you may be able to rig up on your bc straps ala dir, but you don't get the whole benefit because of the extra webbing and all on the Ranger.

Compare that to those "easy to reach" ranger pockets when you have a few pounds of lead in the weight pouch.

Now, I will strongly urge you not to do anything to the Ranger that will lessen its value when you do decide to put it on Ebay :)

Tommy

until now, I was keeping my mask in the side pocket and it was OK. But if I want to put another tool, then I am afraid that if I want to remove one of them, another one will fal out.

So, according to your advice, where should I put the pocket on my wet suit?

What about shears?

sasha

You can follow the instructions on the Halcyon site. There isn't an exact location, but whatever feels out of the way and reachable at the same time.

For shears, look back at that picture you posted from the WKPP site. Shears, mask, and light can all fit in one of those bellows pockets (I got mine from www.fifthd.com). The bungee loop and double ended snaps keep items from falling out since they are clipped to the grommet hole/bungee loop in the pocket. It works well since you can drop everything out of the pocket, rummage around for what you need, and then stuff everything back in.

Sasha-

The items you refer to are *Safety* items and thus go in the left thigh pocket that is attached to your suit. You have a right pocket for wetnotes and tables if needed. You should rarely 'need' to go into your left pocket on a dive (hence safety items only- if there is a problem and you need safety gear you know where to go). Everything in left pocket is clipped off so you can quickly unload and not worry about loss. carry an extra double ender and clip everything off as shown in your picture with its own double ender.

The pockets are part of the 'system' and thus must be on the suit. In the WKPP divers come out of their doubles or breathers to deco in the habitats and thus the safety gear goes where they go...also works when you come out of your gear at the surface in say a cave dive at night in the Yucatan and use the light in your pocket as a lumination device...etc. With DIR you cannot just adapt a piece and expect it to be 'better' than before, its the total package (read dump the ranger- I used to own one too...ebay took mine away for what i paid for it).

dvas once bubbled...
Hi All Tekis,
I am looking for ideas, on how to secure my spare Pelican MityLite Magnum (2x AA), spare mask and shears for cutting.
One of the ideas you can see at the linked picture from the WKPP page http://www.wkpp.org/articles/Gear/equip_moreimages_2.htm
I have Zeagle Ranger BCD. I have attached my knife already to it.
Any ideas or pictures for securing my backups?
thanks for as much as ideas as you can ;-)

sasha

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom