Cochrane comps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

anakin

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
How many people like Cochran dive comps?

pros/cons?

Im looking at getting just the base model 16h with nitrox.

I recently purchased an EMC-20H and love it so far. The gas switching isn't as flexible as some of the other computers out there meaning that you can't manually switch gases whenever you want to and it "only" supports up to three trimix blends. If you don't know how the gas switching works with a Cochran, and if that's an issue for you, I'd be happy to explain it, otherwise I'll skip it.

I'm happy so far, although I have limited deco experience compared to a lot of folks on this board. I know the older Cochrans had some problems but it is my personal belief that those problems have been fixed. I wasn't able to find a single person who actually owned an EMC-20H who wasn't happy with it, although I'm sure they're out there.

So +1 for the Cochrans.

Edit - I just realized you're talking about just a one gas nitrox computer? I think the Cochrans are probably overpriced for that a little. I also own a nitrox Oceanic Veo 180, which I love and which was WAY cheaper than my Cochran.

Brian

anakin:
How many people like Cochran dive comps?
pros/cons?

I LOVE my Cochran computer.

Easy to read display, user replacable batteries, no outrageous peeping and blinking, VERY liberal no-deco times, sturdy "bullet-proof" design, starts upon submerging automatically, stops upon surfacing, build in tac light for night diving, fantastic dive log memory etc. etc.

No other computer comes even close....:D

i looked at them, but they were much too pricey

there are cheaper options

Pricey for both the computer and the software, and the transmitter (brick) is just too big. Otherwise it was an ok computer.

H2Andy:
i looked at them, but they were much too pricey
there are cheaper options

Cochran used to have special deals on computers for Instructors, making them very affordable.:D

fishb0y:
Pricey for both the computer and the software, and the transmitter (brick) is just too big. Otherwise it was an ok computer.

I'm diving with Cochran's Commander wrist computer and use a SPG with hose. You don't really need the software if you keep an old fashioned paper dive log like I do!:D

You need the software with the EMC-20H if you want to set certain options on the computer, it's not just for viewing dive information. There are actually settings that you can't set without the software. And yeah, software's as much as some of the cheaper computers out there.

Brian

brianstclair:
If you don't know how the gas switching works with a Cochran, and if that's an issue for you, I'd be happy to explain it, otherwise I'll skip it.

not sure if this has been covered elsewhere, but i'd be interested in your explanation if it hasn't. otherwise, if someone could point me to another discussion, i'd appreciate it. thanks!

Back
Top Bottom