Anyone have the Mares M2 yet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BrianV

Contributor
Reaction score
I have the M1 now and am planning on an upgrade since my g/f needs a wrist computer. I plan on giving her the M1 and upgrading.

The things I like about the M1 are:

-Easy to Read
-Indiglo stays on forever (nice for night diving)
-I'm familiar with the way the buttons work, etc.
-User replacable batteries (VERY important)
-The way it works in DECO mode is very easy/straight forward

That said, the M2 appears to be the same with slightly more detailed logging, new aesthetics, yet keeps the core strengths I've listed above. I'm on the fence on whether I want to go AirIntegrated or not; so that's obviously out of the question for this one. I've heard some negatives of air integrated and I'd still have to keep a mechanical SPG for backup anyways.

Just looking for some feedback. Has anyone else had the M1 and upgraded to something else; any of your feedback will be important as well.

Thanks

M2 is cool. scubatoys said they gonna start carrying the m2 this week....
i am still waiting...
btw, dacor darwin and M2 looks awfully similar...

Well the Darwin and M1 are identical.

BrianV:
Well the Darwin and M1 are identical.

maybe, maybe not.

In the US the M1 in the last two years had RGBM and before that not, The Darwin in the US (except The Darwin Air) does NOT have RGBM.

In Europe they offer M1's and Darwins in either version. (as of 1 year ago)

cerich:
maybe, maybe not.

In the US the M1 in the last two years had RGBM and before that not, The Darwin in the US (except The Darwin Air) does NOT have RGBM.

In Europe they offer M1's and Darwins in either version. (as of 1 year ago)

You're correct, sorry. My M1 is pre-RGBM so it is identical to the Darwin except the name.

The M2 will be delivered to all dive stores that are participating in our product launch on 6/15/06. This computer is slightly different than the M1. It does have the full implementation of RGBM (including recommended deep stops). Cosmetically a little nicer and lower profile. Buttons are easier to push and it is more user intuitive to operate through the modes. Another big difference is the cost. MSRP $280-$300. I am not aware of another computer that offers all of these functions at this price. Below are some bullet points of operation.
  • RGBM algorithm w/ recommended deep stops
  • quartz mineral screen (not plastic)
  • Backlight permanent or temp
  • user replaceable AAA batteries (inexpensive and easily found)
  • battery compartment is separate from the electronics
  • air / nitrox 21% - 50% / bottom timer - gauge mode
  • 5 PPO2 settings
  • 4 altitude settings
  • metric / imperial option
  • fresh / salt water option
  • 50 log dives
  • pc download
  • dive planning mode
  • dive simulator mode

These are just a few functions, which lead to a great value at $300. Check it out within a couple of weeks.

Best

Zak OHara:
The M2 will be delivered to all dive stores that are participating in our product launch on 6/15/06. This computer is slightly different than the M1. It does have the full implementation of RGBM (including recommended deep stops). Cosmetically a little nicer and lower profile. Buttons are easier to push and it is more user intuitive to operate through the modes. Another big difference is the cost. MSRP $280-$300. I am not aware of another computer that offers all of these functions at this price. Below are some bullet points of operation.
  • RGBM algorithm w/ recommended deep stops
  • quartz mineral screen (not plastic)
  • Backlight permanent or temp
  • user replaceable AAA batteries (inexpensive and easily found)
  • battery compartment is separate from the electronics
  • air / nitrox 21% - 50% / bottom timer - gauge mode
  • 5 PPO2 settings
  • 4 altitude settings
  • metric / imperial option
  • fresh / salt water option
  • 50 log dives
  • pc download
  • dive planning mode
  • dive simulator mode

These are just a few functions, which lead to a great value at $300. Check it out within a couple of weeks.

Best

Wow, looks good. I'm glad to hear you made the buttons easier, the M1's are just ridiculously too stiff and are even more difficult to use with gloves on.

Is the quartz screen scratch resistant like sapphire crystal? What is the advantage of this if it isn't?

Your right, for the money it's a good watch and I've liked my M1 thus far. Now I just need to decide whether I want to spend more and get an AI (although it's considerably more).

I'm also thinking of getting the Atom 1.0 w/o the transmitter since they're having good sales on them and it could be worn as a regular sport's watch. I just fear that the display would be too small. On that subject, what do you have to say about the Nemo? Some people say it can be worn as a regular watch, but to me it looks too big, especially since I have smaller wrists.

Thanks for the informative post.

I have a small wrist and own a nemo. You could pull it off wearing it all the time but for me it is a little too bulky to wear everyday. Although I do tend to wear it as a watch the days I am diving. I am very impressed with it so far.

sorry, the face plate on M2 is highly scratch resistant... Also the nemo is a beautiful watch. I wear mine as a full time watch. My wrists I would guess average between small and medium. The numbers are nice and big so shouldn't be a problem with that. They are both great products.

zak

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom