How long does Tobermory stay "warm"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jrtonkin

Contributor
Reaction score
A friend of mine is coming to town end-of-september-ish, and we were thinking of doing some diving... but I'm not sure what'll still be open/not-insanely-cold by then.

We're both new divers, and will be diving wet; full michelin-man impersonations (7mm two-pieces with hood, gloves, boots), but still wet.

For me, in that kind of gear 60's are comfortable, and 50's are chilly when the water goes down your back, but still doable... Never been in water in the 40's.

The related question is what'll still be open/running... in another thread someone posted that by mid-october Toby has pretty much completely shut down, and since she won't be
flying with gear, my friend is going to need a full rental setup.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jamie

Hey the water in Toby is always cold! (PADI "claims" that any water under 70F is cold! :) )

Seriously, at depth the water in Toby is always 7mm 3/2 wet or dry suit. (ie. We'll break that "never been in the 40's" claim ) I'd suggest calling the dive shops/charters to find out if they are still open. Honestly, I don't know.

Other options are Kingston area or the St. Clair river.

I guess it depends on where in Southern Ontario you are! :confused:

Last weekend, I asked in Tobe how long they were open for,...Diver's Den is open till Thanksgiving Weekend (Canadian Thanksgiving in mid Oct). Dive charters are running till then too.

Divers Den # is 519-596-2363

Have fun!!

Jeff

..........does a trip there, the weekend after Labor Day, each year.
They do it on this weekend because this is the warmest it gets.

Or so I have been told!

Ontario: I'm in Kitchener/Waterloo. About an hour's drive west on the 401 from Toronto.

And 70F is most definitely not cold... that's a nice, pleasant, swimming-pool :) Hey, that's what we should do, start a support group for those who think that 85+ tropical water is too warm :) Right, who wants to help charter the tug-boat to tow an iceberg down off Cozumel and bring the water to a more reasonable temperature...

I've never been in at Kingston or St. Clair; Of course if Rooster is still on vactation, and wants to take a couple of newbies on their first drift-dive.... :)

Dundas: Thanks for the info, I've gone with them a couple of times, they've always been a good trip.

Tavi: I'm surprised they claim that for the warmest time of year. I would have expected the peak a few weeks ago; sort of a week or so after the nights started cooling off. Still, it's good to know that we won't be joining the polar-bear society this time round.

Jamie

Know it well! I did a Major in Math and a Minor in Oktoberfest Drunken Kamikazi Polka Dancing at UW.

If you want, pop me a PM and I can show you the Morrision off of Barrie (30 ft, warm water - easy dive) or I'd be happy to join you in Penetang, Kingston, or Belleville.

I haven't been to the St. Clair either, so if Rooster is around........

(I'm not a newbie, but I'm not super pro either! )

I was just in Toby this past weekend, DMing for an advanced and deep course. Temp at 80 feet was 50, with a cozy 65 to 70 on the surface. Yes, nights will cool things down in the upper regions, but I've been in in October and November and things didn't get much lower than 50 unless the water turns over. Still.. it's better than diving there in the spring, when you get a nice, even 32-34! :eek:

To some extent the temp change will depend on the wind direction. I vacationed on Manitoulin Island in August and did some dives on the Lake Huron side, not that far from Toby.

I have a friend who runs a fish farm there and he pumps his water from 35 feet down in Lake Huron and measures the temps to keep the fish alive (rainbows). In the first week of August we had a big blow from the north one night and it turned the lake over. His water temps went from 18 º C to 11º C in 24 hours. Then the wind shifted and a week later they were back up to over 21º. If you are in Georgian Bay it will be much more stable but you can't count on the Lake Huron side.

Tobermory should stay warm longer than normal, since this has been the hotest dryest summer on record according to the newspapers. Just watch out for that thermalcline.

Don't know if ''warm'' is the right word to be using when you're talking that far North, but I thought I'd comment on the "cold water down the neck" part.
I suggest trying out a hooded vest, you'll eliminate that nasty cold flush right away & wind up staying LOTS warmer.
My back & top of the head would never even get wet while diving that configuration.
:wink:

Back
Top Bottom