reg opinions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Captndan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
i just got certified a few months ago and want to start buying my own stuff. i tried the dacor viper set from my instructor and was sold on that until i read the recent discussion about it on here. im still in college so i need to go as cheap as possible without buying a piece of trash. any suggestions?

There is nothing wrong with the Viper regulator. It is manufactured by Mares under Dacor brand. Many of the concerns by members on the board have been re: Old Dacor regulators, that were not manufactured by Mares. This reg uses all components by Mares, and will continued to be supported indefinitely. If you like the reg and how it breathes, you should have no qualms about purchasing it. Especially if it fits your budget. If you are more comfortable with purchasing a different brand, an excellent choice would be the Mares MR12 Rebel regulator. Can be found for anywhere between $199 - $249. I hope this helps.

A Viper is good and cheap....and reliable...can breathe either way....as long as you don't mind a wet breathing reg...

Zeagle Envoy $194-255 online.

"Score: 20 out of a possible 20" -Scuba Lab
"Zeagle´s redesigned Envoy was the only reg in its price class to earn perfect simulator scores, even at the most demanding RMV/ depth. It also delivered far and away the best in-water performance. An easy breather in all positions and extremely dry, the Envoy has a forceful purge and a dive/ pre dive lever that is very effective in controlling surface free flows. . The Envoy offers the best warranty in its price group" -Scuba Lab

I dive the Envoy Deluxe [like $30 more] and love it.

One of the things that worries me with Dacor is parts availability. Several years ago they quit support/delivery of re-build kits for Dacor regulators after Mares bought them. This made many current and potential Dacor customers very furious with the company. You can search on Dacor and find many threads about this.

It was enough to make me cautious about buying them.

It appears that Zak is part of Mares. Maybe he can comment or provide additional information about this issue and whether or not it's been resolved.

Back
Top Bottom