Scubapro X650 recall

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DA Aquamaster

Directional Toast
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I have been advised that I need to send my X650 in due to a recall.

The details were second hand and were a little thin, but it appears that the case has some temperature related expansion/contraction issues that can interfere with the operation of the lever. So it sounds like it will be getting a new case.

I am not sure on the turn around time or whether SP expects a delay and/or is offering an S600 exchange, but I hope to know more after this weekend.

God~~~ It is again.... I think X650 is over in the market.

Not all 2nd stage is in effective on the recall program, only the stage has been sold between June 2005 and May 2006.

hoosier:
God~~~ It is again.... I think X650 is over in the market.
It's not and never will be a D400, but I kinda like it. Still, if I had an option to swap it for an S600 I think I would.

DA Aquamaster:
It's not and never will be a D400, but I kinda like it. Still, if I had an option to swap it for an S600 I think I would.

As I understand SP announce, it is a straight replacement with the new same model.

Let's see how it goes. You might get the good favor as a keyman or technician.

Good luck. :D

That is why I bought a S600 in the first place. I read all the negative feedback on this site and the problems they have been having with it. Being able to search a board like this can really inform you about the products available. I am just not so sure about my choice of the MK25. Our water runs 48 degrees here, and lately I have been reading about them freezing up.

Peter_C:
That is why I bought a S600 in the first place. I read all the negative feedback on this site and the problems they have been having with it. Being able to search a board like this can really inform you about the products available. I am just not so sure about my choice of the MK25. Our water runs 48 degrees here, and lately I have been reading about them freezing up.
From what I've read, the water will need to be a lot colder than 48 to cause your MK25 to freeze. The people having those issues are diving in water that's more 30's to low forties, at the warmest.

Yes, 48 degree doesn't matter with MK25AF/S600 combination. My diving environment is around 42~45 all year around. I had one severe free flow at 39 degree.

Someone had one free flow in Monterey, which is the same temperature. At anything over 40 feet that is not something I want to happen. I hope to never do an OOA drill for real, but that is why we practice.

The following was distributed by Scubapro:

Scubapro® X650 Diving Regulators Recalled for Drowning Hazard

WASHINGTON, D.C. – The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in cooperation with the firm named below, today announced a voluntary recall of the following consumer product. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed. (To access color photos of the following recalled products, see CPSC’s Web site at www.cpsc.gov.)

Name of Product: Scubapro® X650 Second Stage Regulator
Units: About 670
Manufacturer: Scubapro® with global headquarters located in El Cajon, Calif.
Hazard: A manufacturing error could cause the main housing of some regulators to change shape over time, which could cause the cover and diaphragm to become dislodged. If this occurs, air flow will be interrupted and the regulators will no longer function, posing a drowning hazard to users.
Incidents/Injuries: None reported.
Description and Models: The recall involves some X650 second stage regulators. All X650 second stage regulators are clearly marked with a blue capital “X” next to the numbers “650” in white. Affected regulators have a visible bump located on the right side of the unit between the letter “C” and where the mouthpiece attaches to the regulator body.
Sold at: Authorized Scubapro® dealers in the U.S. from June 2005 through May 2006 for between $400 and $670.
Manufactured in: Genova, Italy
Remedy: Consumers should stop using the product immediately and contact Scubapro® to determine if they have an affected second stage regulator. If so, they will receive a free replacement regulator. The company is contacting registered owners of the product directly.
Consumer Contact: For more information, contact Scubapro® at (800) 803-3948 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. PT Monday through Friday or visit their Web site at www.scubapro.com.

Scott

670 units is pretty small for a recall and it's obviously a materials or production issue affecting a small percentage of X650's rather than a design fault. That's good news.

It's also bad news as I was starting to hope SP would have to expand it's packaging for the Mk 17 and start packaging it with the S600 and/or G250HP, which would be ideal regulator combinations.

If nothing else, it's also proof that Scubapro can update it's US website in a timely manner.

I can't complain too much as I got the X650 at cost through the shop for evaluation purposes in order to detemrine if it offerred much if any advantage over the S600.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom