OMS IQ Zeagle Ranger

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

taat2d

Reaction score
I'm about to purchase a new BC and I'd like some opinons about the Ranger and the OMS IQ. Also can some give me some advise about banded and non-banded wings. I have heard that banded add more drag and in the event of oral inflation the bands make it much more restricted.
Thanks.......:jester:

c'mon help me out start the fun off pug....

... I mean... how can I... what am I going to say?

"Do the Ranger=>ebay=>OMS IQ maneuver"

I don't think I could say that with straight type!!! :D

What you need here are a couple of Ranger advocates and a couple of IQ advocates in a sort of *also ran smack down*

Course if you had asked about a Ranger vs a BP/wing then I would have jumped in the ring myself :D

Hi taat2d,

Are you referring to the Zeagle Ranger. If so it's quite a different setup from a IQ backplate system. I have used both these with an OMS banded bladder and I like both but before you choose from these setups I suggest you try them out and decide exactly what you want to accomplish. If your interested in diving doubles I would go with the IQ or just a plain harness and backplate. The IQ is nice but the slim line design of a harness is not only simple but it also creates less drag. As to the banded creating more drag I can't answer that as I have not had the bands off. I would try renting these and a few others. If it's backplates your looking for try OMS, Halcyon, and Diverite. I'm sure there are some other decent brands out there but someone else will have to list them.

The problem is that I'm not sure if I'm goign to dive doubles and get into more tech type diving. I have a Seaquest Pro QD+ and I tred my friends Sherwood Freedom and I like the less bulky feel of the back inflator. I don't wanna make the same mistake again, like I did when i bought a jacket style as opposed to a back inflator. Thats why I'm trying to get comparasions about the wings and the Zeagle Ranger.

I started out with a Ranger and sold it this last weekend. If you have any ambition of diving doubles I would go with the wings. The Ranger was a great BC and it is capable of attaching small doubles but the wing in my opinion is much more comfortable when doing so. If you don't ever dive doubles the wings still work great with a single tank adapter or if you get the IQ you have the built in single tank strap. If you no anyone or can rent this gear anywhere I would suggest you do so. As I said before it's quite a different setup but in my opinion the wings are much more versatile. I've seen some people say they didn't like doubles and they sold there gear afterwards so if after you try the doubles and you like them I would say it's just a matter of which wings to buy.

If bulky is your worry..... BP/Wings is your answer. Its minimilism and simplicity at its best! I hardly even know I'm wearin mine.

On the banded thing... dont do it. I had a DiveRite w/Rec wings (has a bungie) and that thing trapped air like no tomorrow.

Now if I could only find a place in Brooklyn or close enuff to it to rent the IQ....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom