Wrist Top Computer Divers...compass configuration question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

otay!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Would appreciate some feedback from you as to your configuration. I'm researching my purchase of a wrist top computer in conjunction with a new regulator set-up, and I'm curious to know where you place your compass. I don't believe I've ever seen a console to include only a psi and compass...always seems to have a depth gauge as well. I'd like to keep my console as compact as possible, so I'm compelled to just get the single psi gauge...but what of the compass? What do most of you do? Throw one in a BC pocket? Dive with the larger console? Wrist compass on opposite wrist? Retractor? Thanks for the help...

When I dive with a computer it is on my right wrist (other times the bottom timer is on my right wrist). Compass is on my left wrist regardless and seems to work for me.

I still have a 2 gauge concole that is clipped to my waist D-ring.

Wrist compass on opposite wrist, or on a retractor, depending what's best for the circumstances. Suunto SK-7 in either situation. DSS wrist mount.

otay!:
I'd like to keep my console as compact as possible, so I'm compelled to just get the single psi gauge...but what of the compass?

Tusa makes a PSI+compass only console. I bought one 9 months ago or so. I just pulled it apart, though, so I have a compass that I can wrist mount or put in a pocket and a bare SPG. You might save $$$ buying this two-in-one even if you do pull it apart.

I bought a Cetacea mini retractor for my compass (http://www.cetaceacorp.com/scuba/ select slates). Changed the clip type. I carry it in my BCD pocket on almost all dives. The problem I had was getting my original console out far enough in front of me to hold the compass level. The wrist mounted boot for the compass was as expensive as this slate, and I can write down navigation information on the slate.

AI Computer on the right wrist (Uwatec AirZ Nitrox), compass (Suunto SK7 in DSS boot) on the left. There are a couple of advantages: when arms are crossed in front of you all information that you need is right there, maybe this isn't important to many people but for me it made navigation dives during AOW a breeze. Also in forcing yourself to use this configuration and keep your arms crossed, over time you'll use your hands for moving underwater progressively less so that's an added benefit.

Others may disagree, but i'm convinced that you are more likely to pay attention to information that you already have available than having to search for it, and that isn't restricted to diving. So i'd much rather keep everything visible rather than tucked away where it can be difficult to retrieve under any stressful situation or even totally ignored during a dive.

Any day now I'll be adding a brass & glass SPG on the waist D-ring.

I'm left handed so I put my slate on my right arm along with the computer. This pretty much fills up my right arm so the compass (suunto SK7) goes on the left wrist. Even without the DiveRite slate I'd put the compas on my left wrist. When I dive I can place left wrist under my mask (fore arm at 90 degress the direction of travel) and follow the compass heading. Viz is never good here and I always need a compass. I've gone to using a plain old chromed brass SPG with no boot

I have a Cetacea on a retractor and hate it. The compass itself is fine, but it is easy to change the degrees by how the compass is held in your hands too easily. Soon I will be buying an SK7 and a wrist mount for my left wrist. I have an air integrated Air Z on my right wrist. It has to be there, as you raise your left arm to deflate your BCD and the depth change alarm would go off.

Probably going to put on a 2" backup SPG without a boot, but already have a pony guage on my first stage.

Computer on the right, Compass and backup timer on the left. SPG on the left hip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom