Defective Suunto Cobra or a one time error?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gilligan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I have had my Cobra for three years and have 490 dives in the history memory. Never had a problem with it of any kind.

Yesterday I did a dive between 65 and 97 feet. All the data appeared okay during the dive.

When I got home and retrieved the dive info for my logbook it showed 97 feet for 52 minutes. NO WAY, NO HOW was I down for 52 minutes.

My two dive buddies computers showed 34 minutes.

Only time will tell if this was a one time fluke or has my Cobra gone bonkers?

Anyone else have a similar situation?

Yes, I've seen faulty data recorded on several occasions. Have you tried creating a new user profile and downloading the data into that profile? It could be a corrupted download, but in my case it was faulty data being stored in the Cobra.

do it easy:
Perhaps you did back to back dives and the computer was counting the previous dive?

Did you fly recently? How old are the batteries?

I'm just guessing- I don't own a Cobra or any other Suunto comps.

Only did the one dive.
Didn't fly in the past three weeks.
Battery is a few months old.

dherbman:
Yes, I've seen faulty data recorded on several occasions. Have you tried creating a new user profile and downloading the data into that profile? It could be a corrupted download, but in my case it was faulty data being stored in the Cobra.

Haven't downloaded anything to the computer since I owned it.

What did you do about yours?

Gilligan:
Haven't downloaded anything to the computer since I owned it.

What did you do about yours?

Manipulated the data and watch the thing like a hawk. I'll replace it as soon as possible. For the price, the Cobra is a huge disappointment.

I may have solved my own mystery.

After I surface from a dive I let my BCD float while teathered to my kayak until I put my other gear away including my camera.

Me thinks the computer may have been just low enough in the water to have "continued" with the dive and added that time to the actual dive?

That would explain the added time.

dherbman:
Manipulated the data and watch the thing like a hawk. I'll replace it as soon as possible. For the price, the Cobra is a huge disappointment.

I wouldn't get another one because of the price even at Leisurepro's prices.

At this point I would get A Genesis Resource Pro computer for $205. and a Genesis pressure/depth guage in a three compartment boot for $110. at Leisurepro.

It's all I need for my diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom