suunto vytec button problem (light) and more

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DirtRider

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I bought a new suunto vytec wrist mount computer from a person on this board. I have used it twice at night and as far as I understand the main mode button needs to be held for 2 seconds for the light to go on. This works only at very shallow depths. The rubber deal can be pulled away from the button and I tried pressing on just the button and it still doesn't work. It must not be springing back right I guess. It works perfectly fine out of the water. Any ideas on what I should do?
Also, I walked away and then put my bc on last time without checking the sync. I noticed when already geared up and up to me knees in water so I just removed the computer and flipped it behind the head so it would sync. Stupid me hit the first stage and cracked the protection shield thing. It sure isn't very strong. Anywhere to get them online because my local lds doesn't carry suunto?
Finally, I noticed that the vytec went to fail when air pressure was less than 177 psi and never re-sync'd. This happened twice right at about that pressure. Is this normal?
Other than that it seems nice and I got the software working.

anyone?

To activate the electroluminescent backlight (in the Surface Mode hold
down the mode button for more than two (2) seconds, during a dive for
one (1) second).

From the manual.

Edit:

To sync it after being geared up. Turn it on. Hold your wrist right next to the transmitter for 20-30 seconds. Check to see that it sync'd. If it didn't you can shut down the air and turn it back on and then repeat the wrist thing. Much easier on the computer than tossing it over your head and hoping you don't break it.

Also, the sync is supposed to turn off at a low pressure, around that 170psi mark, so it's not on using the transmitter battery all the time. What are you doing with less than 200 psi in the tank anyway?

As a Vytec owner for many years, here's the scoop:

#1 - ditch the band and go to www.deepseasupply.com and get Tobin's Vytec boot. You'll be much happier.

#2 - LeisurePro sells the replacement covers. Buy a few, as it doesn't impact shipping. There are on eBay occasionally for a couple of bucks less, but LP always has them. I have 2 or 3 spares in the dry box at all times. I'll go through a couple each Lobster Season (another reason for the Tobin boot... on the bungee, you can simply slide the Vytec up to your elbow when reaching into deep rocks for bugs!)

#3 - the buttons get sticky. No worries. Been diving the Vytec for about 4 or 5 years now and have used that limp night vision light maybe once. My dive light does a much better job of illuminating the thing.

#4 - The sensor will fail one day. My first one did at about 400+ dives. Some last longer, some shorter. There is no repairing a Vytec. They are simply the best, but they will fail one day and become a paper weight. I have a perfectly good one here right now - except when you power it on it says I'm at 400+ feet.

MEMO TO SUUNTO: Listen closely you irksom lot of pretentious snots - because you people don't repair these things, when they break out of warranty we loyal Vytec users are SOL. You have made no provision for us to "trade in" the broken unit for a discount on a new one to keep us in the brand and in the line. So in order to stay in the line we go to extreme lengths, including buying our NEXT / replacement Vytec from the cheapest source available - read: eBay or some other non-authorized dealer.

If you clowns had a program (seeing as you have no post-warranty repair available) through your dealer network whereby we could pay a reasonable rate and get a replacement, I'm confident we would. But you have selected to ignore the growing numbers post-warranty owners and their desire to have the computers they loved be made operational again.

I'm on my second Vytec. Its the third one I've purchased (wifie's still on #1) but if Suunto doesn't get a grip and come up with a plan for post-warranty service / exchange, I am bolting this line very, very quickly. Calling them was a circus, and when I got to their "service Department" I was flat out stoned when I sought post-warranty service.

Guess it sucks to take care of your gear so it actually lasts well beyond the warranty period. Maybe if it failed a couple of years earlier I'd be in a new unit. That's just bush league service. C'mon, Suunto.

---
Ken
Vytec homer (for now)

Yeah I could see the buttons getting sticky after a while but brand new??? When the light works at maybe 30' it actually works quite well I think.

It is a shame to hear what you are saying about them failing so soon. All things considered...I'll probably never get to 400 dives my whole life and if it does I'll probably want something new anyway. If it lasts that long it costs me $2 a dive so I guess it is worthwhile. If service is as you say though that is truly a shame. Suunto is a respected product all the way around I thought. I researched here before buying and many seemed to love the vytec. From my limited experience I really love it too besides the light deal.

Tobbins mount is a good idea. It has been on my list...

No regrets overall though...there is almost always a few quirks with anything technical.

I LOVE the product. But these people need to get their head out of the sand and realize that by the time it fails, a diver has a zillion dives on it and years of dive logs in their buggy SDM program - offering an incentive for us to stay in the brand (like the ability to buy a replacement at a reasonable discount) isn't too much to ask for.

---
Ken

Hi Mo2vation found you posts interesting - and came up with a couple of questions you might be able to help me with:

Can you describe how you replace the protective cover - what is the best way to remove it? Do you just pull and break the plastic lugs on the old cover?

Just bought a Vytec DS and got a spare cover at the same time but not sure how to do this when the time comes.

Any thoughts on why the sensor on your computers failed?

Hope this isn't too much of an off topic post

The cover just pulls off - you won't break the tabs.

Its not just MY sensor (only one of my 3 has) that fails. Read here and on several other dive-related boards, and you'll read tale after tale of a diver firing up his Vytec one day only to show him standing at 220 - 400+ FSW.

They're amazing machines, but when they go, this is how they go.

---
Ken

Thanks Mo2vation for the information.

Shame about the expectation of sensor failure - luckily I normally carry a backup computer.

DirtRider:
I bought a new suunto vytec wrist mount computer from a person on this board. I have used it twice at night and as far as I understand the main mode button needs to be held for 2 seconds for the light to go on. This works only at very shallow depths.

I think I had the same problem with the light. I'd check it at the surface a couple of times to make sure that it worked, but at depth it would not light up. That was in AIR mode. My backlight works as advertised in NITROX mode. I just dive EAN21 so I don't use AIR mode anymore. If you know what all the extra nitrox info is, you should give this a shot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom