Dive Light Preference?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

costi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm getting prepared for my first up and coming night dive and have a question about lights. I have a small Princeton Tec 40 for a backup light. While I like the beam it produces for a small light, I don't care for the screw in and out method of turning it on and off as I have flooded it a couple of times (user error) by turning it out too far.
This brings me to my main question: What do you folks recommend for a Primary Light? I've checked out the Princeton models but again, I don't know if I can get use to the type of switch they have either. I think it would be ok without gloves, but not with my 5 mil. I'm thinking maybe a trigger type. Not sure what else is available
Any suggestions on night diving lights. Probably non rechargeable at this point.
What about the Pelicans?
Thanks for any input, Bob

The SL4 and SL6 have a pretty narrow beam that a lot of people don't like. For a night dive, look to the pistol-grip lights like the UK C8 or Princeton Tec Shockwave II.

It's also worth it to spend a little more money and get one of the LED lights, such as the UK C8 ELED or Princeton Tec Shockwave LED

I also highly suggest rechargeable batteries for use in whatever primary dive light you buy. Use only alkaline batteries in backups. Rechargeables self-discharge over time and you are very likely not to charge backup lights before use. You want cells that will maintain their charge for when you need them.

For a little bit more money you can get the much brighter UK Light Cannon. This light uses the same bulb technology as high-end canister lights and expensive new cars, HID (high intensity discharge). You get way more light output per watt than with incandescent, just like LED, but you can't buy 10+ watt LED's yet. The downside is that the bulb is fairly fragile and expensive to replace.

do it easy:
Try the UK SL4 or SL6. It's not a trigger style, but it does have a switch. The switch is mounted on an edge, so I think it makes it easier to operate with gloves on.
Thanks, it does look better than the twist type for my backup light.
Thank-you also, Jonnythan. I appreciate the input.....now about these first night dive jitters,
Bob

I just switched from my UK C8 to a UK LED C4. The LED C4 throws more light than the older C8, and it is smaller and less cumbersome.
I tried them both on night dives recently, and I like the LED C4. I imagine the LED C8 is fantastic.

Enjoy your night dive, and the many more to come after that!

I like UK lights, I've used them for years. Currently I own a C8 eLED and I'm really happy with it.

UK C8 LED and Princeton Tec Shockwave LED are both great primary lights. Especially if you dive in murky water. I can't say i recommend the UK light canon as they seem really really moody.

I mostly use by UK D8 now. It is big, bright and cheap. The D cells seem to last longer then the Ccells in my UK C8. and the D8 is way brighter. I also have a UK C8 eLED The LED light is whiter, a better color and the LED does not use so much power. and there is interal voltage regulation to the light stay constant until the battery are truely dead The LED is a narrower beam while the D8 is wide.
I now use a 6 AA cell Ikilite for a backup this is a very bright but pencil width beam.

As for the screw down light flodding. If yu use it only as a backup you would only turn in on underwater and not turn it off until you were out of the water so it could not flood when you turn it off.

All I can say is get the "whitest" light you can reasonably afford. I dive with a UK C8, my husband dives a UK eLED C8 and our other buddy dives a light canon and I might as well have a candle. When we all shine our lights on something, you can't even tell my light is contributing. I can see fine when I'm on my own but when they swim by to look at something, I can tell I'm not quite getting the whole picture.

If you treat the light canon well, it works great.

No, you don't need the light of the sun on a night dive, but the "whiter" the light the better in my opinion.

Night diving is great, you'll love it.

Good point about the backup light only being used as back up so it stays on!
I'll check out theukd8...thanks, bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom