Atomic M1: What's the real deal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

badmrchris

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I currently dive with a ‘04 Abyss and I’m more than happy with it. However, I’m taking a Nitrox class next month, and was told by my LDS that I should buy the Atomic M1 because it’s the only reg that can switch between regular air and Nitrox without any special considerations.

Sounded good, but I spoke to another LDS, and they said I can do this with any reg but manufacturers won’t stand behind this for liability/insurance reasons.

So I’ve talked to a few people and read a few articles, and they run the gamut between the two. Ideally, I’d like to keep the Abyss and spend the $550+ on other equipment, but before I do I’d like to get a better handle on the equipment I need from someone not trying to sell me something.

Your thoughts and ideas are appreciated…

badmrchris:
my LDS that I should buy the Atomic M1 because it’s the only reg that can switch between regular air and Nitrox without any special considerations.

Nowadays, most regs are ready for nitrox (usually up to 40% O2) right out of the box. Yes, ideally you should have a dedicated nitrox regulator and, if you need to use air, use "nitrox/O2 compatible" air (air filtered through the same filtration system as nitrox) so as to not contaminate your nitrox tanks. In reality, you can switch most regs between air and nirox (up to 40% O2) without any problems - I think your LDS is a little suspect in claiming that the M1 is "the only reg that can switch between regular air and Nitrox without any special considerations."

Vie:
Nowadays, most regs are ready for nitrox (usually up to 40% O2) right out of the box. Yes, ideally you should have a dedicated nitrox regulator and, if you need to use air, use "nitrox/O2 compatible" air (air filtered through the same filtration system as nitrox) so as to not contaminate your nitrox tanks. In reality, you can switch most regs between air and nirox (up to 40% O2) without any problems - I think your LDS is a little suspect in claiming that the M1 is "the only reg that can switch between regular air and Nitrox without any special considerations."

Pretty much what I figured. Eventually I'll have a dedicated setup, but for the time being it's nice to know I won't have to drop another $1000 in equipment.

Regarding "nitrox/O2 compatible air", is this a common setup at dive shops or is it something I'm going to have to hunt for?

badmrchris:
was told by my LDS that I should buy the Atomic M1 because it’s the only reg that can switch between regular air and Nitrox without any special considerations.

ah...no... they're lying to you

pretty much every reg out there today is safe to use with air or Nitrox up to 40%

fully covered by warranty

badmrchris:
Regarding "nitrox/O2 compatible air", is this a common setup at dive shops or is it something I'm going to have to hunt for?

what he means is that if you are going to use mixes of higher than 50% O2,
you should have dedicated regs and tanks to use them, and have them
O2 cleaned. then don't mix those with lower grade air use, as it will negate
the O2 cleaning.

personally... i have my doubts about this ... but ... it's the safe thing to do, i guess

as far as using Nitrox less than 40%, you're golden. any shop will do, any
modern reg will do. no need to worry. mix and match nitrox and air all
you want. some shops give you grief about this, but that's all their crap.

the only real reason to refuse you is if they are going to be pumping
100% O2 in your tank to blend with air. in that case, yes, you will need
O2 clean tanks. that's pretty rare these days.

The easiest way to check for air quality is to ask. Most dive shops have their air tested at regular intervals and if they have grade "E" air then it is considered by the industry to be safe for use in partial pressure (O2 first, then air on top) blending of nitrox or as straight air in tanks that are used for nitrox.

You don't need a new regulator.

You do need a new shop.

If you can't trust their sales pitch, why trust their training?

The Mares Abyss 04 regulator is ok to dive with nitrox up to 40% out of the box. In the older regulator packaging and pamphlets it would read that they were not, as this is the standard in europe. In the U.S. all Mares regulators are Nitrox compatible out of the box up to 40%. Our new packaging and information reflects this as well.

This should clarify our position.

Zak

awap:

You do need a new shop.

No kidding! I blend gasses and am quite happy to even "partial pressure blend". Atomics are great regs, don't let anyone tell you different, but if your just learning EANx, you like your current reg, it's not on the "ancient" list and there is still more stuff to buy to complete your set-up, don't spend it all in one place.

To quote John Chatterton from another forum (Deep Sea Detectives, Shadow Divers, etc.), "After you have a few years experience, like many of us, then you can buy a bunch of stuff that doesn't work, for too much money, and you hate."

Have fun & Dive safe - Mike

awap:

You do need a new shop.

good point. luckily SoCal has a plethora of them

thanks all for the help

chris

The problem is not switching between air and Nitrox, it's getting air that has more hydrocarbons in it, and that would then contaminate any style of regulator. (Once the contamination enters the regulator and you use more enriched air, then you run a higher chance of having problems). So the key is to get airfills that are of Nitrox quality. You can use your regulator up to 40% Nitrox assuming you've never gotten an airfill of poor quality or have hydrocarbons built up in your regulator.
A good service center would be able to check for hydrocarbons under a blacklight.

Good luck and great diving!
Britt
CrazyScuba.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom