Diving at Jocassee Saturday 6-10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was there on 5/20 helping out with an OW class. The water temp was mid-60s, viz 10-15ft (20ft before divers entered the water). Its been pretty warm here lately and the lake should have warmed up a few more degrees by now. Wearing a 7mil, hood, gloves you would not be overdressed. Have fun. Say hello to the divers from the Greenville Bermuda Triangle (www.24scuba.com) while you're out there (most of them are wearing Henderson hyperstretch wetsuits -- our LDS' specialty). I can't make it out there this Sat because I'm assisting with an OW pool class, but PM me next time if you need a buddy.

HI Jocasseegirl,
Perhaps I will swim by you out there. I am doing my open water cert with Bermuda Triangle this weekend. Check out Off the Wall Charters site, they give current vis and temp on their web page http://www.offthewalldiving.com/2.html It looks like surface has been 68 and at 60 feet 60 degrees. Seems to have been the same the last several times that I have checked . Vis 20 feet.

Are you the gal that wrote the book about Attakula Lodge?

Leah

leah:
HI Jocasseegirl,
Perhaps I will swim by you out there. I am doing my open water cert with Bermuda Triangle this weekend. Check out Off the Wall Charters site, they give current vis and temp on their web page http://www.offthewalldiving.com/2.html It looks like surface has been 68 and at 60 feet 60 degrees. Seems to have been the same the last several times that I have checked . Vis 20 feet.

Are you the gal that wrote the book about Attakula Lodge?

Leah

Yeah, that's me! Our dive season to the Lodge will be starting very soon - of course, I can't go down 300 feet, but I'm always on the boat with the guys.

Holler if you see me -- I have short, blonde hair - plan to get there around 10:30. GOOD LUCK with your OW! That was one of the most exciting days of my life! :D Debbie

Debbie,
I just missed you at the ramp yesterday. Tom, instructor knows who you are and said you were taking off as I was bringing my gear down the ramp. So how was the dive yesterday?

I have some questions about Attakulla Lodge. Do you have any pictures of it before the flood, during the flood. I saw one of it during my visit to Off the Wall's site from a recent dive.

Also, was it cleared out of thefurnishings or were their any contents left behind? Did your Grandfather ever host any famous guest that you know of? Where can I buy your book?
Leah

leah:
Debbie,
I just missed you at the ramp yesterday. Tom, instructor knows who you are and said you were taking off as I was bringing my gear down the ramp. So how was the dive yesterday?

I have some questions about Attakulla Lodge. Do you have any pictures of it before the flood, during the flood. I saw one of it during my visit to Off the Wall's site from a recent dive.

Also, was it cleared out of thefurnishings or were their any contents left behind? Did your Grandfather ever host any famous guest that you know of? Where can I buy your book?
Leah

Leah, sorry I missed you! I had a good dive. The one off the ramp was really just to get myself reacclimated and try out my new gear I got for Christmas. We only stayed down about 25 minutes, but it was SO good to get back in the water. Then we went to the Junk for a while. L-O-N-G day - got home at 11:30 last night. I still want to do just a leisurely dive off the ramp and look at the stuff around the shoreline - you know -- fish! :bfish: I've seen the things that have been sunk, but I like the wildlife.

There are lots of pictures of Attakulla Lodge in my book. I have one copy left in stock right now - you can order it through my website, and even with shipping, it's a little cheaper than in the bookstores. We got the furnishings out that were any good - of course, the Lodge was wide open for a long time before flooding, and people stripped off a lot of the siding, tin off the roof, and took the staircase out. But overall, she's amazingly intact. The best video that have of her to date is on my website (Aug 04 dive). I have never heard of any famous visitors, although I do know that Henry Ford visited Jocassee Valley once. I don't know if he stayed, or just passed through.

How was YOUR diving yesterday? Debbie

Hi Debbie,
It was great on Saturday, except for loosing my computer. Oh well on for me, but on the other hand I guess I made someone's day.

We finished out check out skills on Saturday and then today, Sunday we went to the junk. Vis was about 15' or so. Glad I had my hood on. It was cold down there! We finished up just before the storm hit. The storm caused some problems for EMS. There were going to life flight a guy out of there, but I don't think the could land the helo with the strom. I don't think it was a diver. I over heard one of the park rangers radios. I think a 70 year old guy fell off a 40 drop onto some rocks near the falls and got a head injury. He was awake on transport back to the docks but really confused. Hope he is ok

Maybe we can hook up some weekend to do a shore dive. While my group was out of the water on our surface interval, I just floated in the water with my snorkle and watched the fish. I really enjoyed doing that. I couldn't get any of my friends to get certified with me, so I am looking for buddies to dive with.

Leah

leah:
Hi Debbie,
It was great on Saturday, except for loosing my computer. Oh well on for me, but on the other hand I guess I made someone's day.

We finished out check out skills on Saturday and then today, Sunday we went to the junk. Vis was about 15' or so. Glad I had my hood on. It was cold down there! We finished up just before the storm hit. The storm caused some problems for EMS. There were going to life flight a guy out of there, but I don't think the could land the helo with the strom. I don't think it was a diver. I over heard one of the park rangers radios. I think a 70 year old guy fell off a 40 drop onto some rocks near the falls and got a head injury. He was awake on transport back to the docks but really confused. Hope he is ok

Maybe we can hook up some weekend to do a shore dive. While my group was out of the water on our surface interval, I just floated in the water with my snorkle and watched the fish. I really enjoyed doing that. I couldn't get any of my friends to get certified with me, so I am looking for buddies to dive with.

Leah

Leah, congratulations on your open water! I'd love to do a shore dive with you sometime. I'm not sure when I'll get back up there, but I'll let you know. Columbia is almost 3 hours away.

I did the DUMBEST thing Saturday -- put my gear bag down on the ground behind my car, then proceeded to back over it - and then put the car into drive and backed over it AGAIN!!! Honestly - I was so excited to be back up at Jocassee, all reason just left me. Fortunately, the only damage was to one of my fin strap buckles. The fins are too big anyway, so I'll order another buckle and sell them on eBay. Thank goodness it wasn't my new BC! Our dives went great, though, but you're right -- it was chilly on the Junk. I didn't have a hood - had a 5 mil suit on - but I stayed down about 27 minutes, and I was OK.

Keep in touch! Debbie

Glad to hear you didn't have much damage to the gear. Let me know when you are coming up and want to do some shore diving. Hope you had a safe trip home.

Leah

Back
Top Bottom