First Time Replacing Battery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gryz

Registered
Reaction score
After a couple months of no use, I turned on my Genesis computer to find the battery needed replacing. The directions were easy to follow but actually doing it was a different story. Everything went well until I had to put the cover back on to lock it. This part must have taken 15 min or so and took two people, one to apply pressure and the other to turn it.

It is on and well, but my question is should I trust I did a good job and wait until this weekend to try it, or can I put it is the tub and see if it is OK?

Gryz:
After a couple months of no use, I turned on my Genesis computer to find the battery needed replacing. The directions were easy to follow but actually doing it was a different story. Everything went well until I had to put the cover back on to lock it. This part must have taken 15 min or so and took two people, one to apply pressure and the other to turn it.

It is on and well, but my question is should I trust I did a good job and wait until this weekend to try it, or can I put it is the tub and see if it is OK?

bring backup tables on your dive.:D

Actually the amount of time trying to "get it" concerns me. The oring can get damaged during multiple unsucessful attempts. Did you get a kit with a spare oring or just the battery?

Next time use your thumb to hold the cover down and your other hand to turn the locking ring.

Many LDS have a pressure chamber they can test the computer in, you may just want to drop it off to one and ask for a battery change, it will cost 10-25 bucks depending but then if it leaks you are covered.

My thoughts also...

But it wasn't that it was not in right, it was that the cover was so hard to turn, by the time I gave up on turning it, the cover would pop up again.

It said to use a flat head screwdriver to turn the ring if that is any indication of how hard it is to turn. I definately couldn't have done it with my hands.

I would love to hear how this battery system came about. It is used by at least 3 major dive computers. I even understand that those using it now used to have the other system of changing batteries, i.e. use a quarter to turn a screw in cap. The latter system is much better and I wonder why anyone decided to go from that system to the one in question.

Must have been that dreaded quarter turn system.

I will be quiet now.

RICHinNC:
Must have been that dreaded quarter turn system.

I will be quiet now.

Dear RichinNC,

Thanks you for your numerous constructive (mostly:wink: ) comments on the battery compartment sealing system employed in instruments by Pelagic Pressure Systems.
Rest assured that your comments have been most welcome and heard (over and over again....::eyebrow: )

These concerns have been passed along to the "grown ups".

I, nor Doug, have any indication at this time what designs will be used going forward beyond those products already in production.

Best,

Chris

I have spent the better part of an hour tonight trying to get my computer back together (Resource Pro). I also have another Genesis React which is the simple screw down version which is easy and reliable.

As for the Resource Pro, I had to struggle to get the locking ring in, and I know that it is not dive worthy because the ring when locked down is not even...and hence the battery cover is not properly in place.

Why is one version so simple and the other almost impossible?

I am disappointed in Genesis (and whoever really makes this model).

Scubamax

Back
Top Bottom