computer has died, please help me find a new one!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

turbo123

New
Reaction score
Well, my Suunto Solution computer has died after about 13 years of use. It shows I have logged a 223 foot dive (no possible way!) and is now stuck in the surface scrolling mode (which is not very helpful when you're diving!). I am clearly out of the 2 year warranty period, so I'm in the market for a new computer.

I'm an advanced diver (over 500 dives), and occasionally do an inadvertant deco dive :( , so deco support is required. I am not at all interested in nitro or air-integration, but I would like a computer with large symbols (my eyes ain't what they used to be). User-changeable batteries is a must.

I've looking at the Aeris XR-1, but the Aeris webpage states the following:

Operating Depth (Guage mode) = N/A

Can anyone tell me what this means? It sounds like it does not show you current depth, but I can't believe a dive computer wouldn't show you your current depth!

Any comments about the Aeris XR-1 or suggestions for a basic air-only dive computer would be greatly appreciated!

I dont know that Aires model? I know the Oceanics better, and while they are the same, I'd not sure which Oceanic that would match.

The Oceanic Versa Pro has large numbers and is a sweet computer. Under $300. It can certainly be switched to Gauge mode for more technical diving. My original Oceanic computer started attacking up after only 5 years, but I sent it to the company and they replaced it with a newer model for $90. :cheering:

BTW, the better computers are going to include Nitrox options even tho you're not interested.

Welcome to SB. Drop in on Intros and post one if you'd like...??

turbo123:

Can anyone tell me what this means? It sounds like it does not show you current depth, but I can't believe a dive computer wouldn't show you your current depth!

The XR1 does not do "Gauge Mode", thats why it is "N/A"

I would recommend the Suunto Gecko, very similiar features to your solution computer and has nitrox

The Versa Pro has been discontinued

turbo123:
Well, my Suunto Solution computer has died after about 13 years of use. It shows I have logged a 223 foot dive (no possible way!) and is now stuck in the surface scrolling mode (which is not very helpful when you're diving!). I am clearly out of the 2 year warranty period, so I'm in the market for a new computer.

I'm an advanced diver (over 500 dives), and occasionally do an inadvertant deco dive :( , so deco support is required. I am not at all interested in nitro or air-integration, but I would like a computer with large symbols (my eyes ain't what they used to be). User-changeable batteries is a must.

Any comments about the Aeris XR-1 or suggestions for a basic air-only dive computer would be greatly appreciated!

My dad is selling an old Aladin Pro on Ebay. Large numbers with decompression..ends in 4 hours .just search aladin Pro..... seller 014111.

I would not recommend the Versa Pro due to the quarter turn battery compartment....an accident waiting to happen.

Get one where you can change the battery and where the battery compartment closes easily and securely.

turbo123:

1. I've only used a Pelagic (Aeris, Oceanic, Sherwood, others?) computer a couple of times many years ago, so I'm talking out my butt here, but from reputation (reviews in magazines and Scubaboard) I wouldn't suggest you go with a Pelagic unit if you do any deco based on your computer. Their reputation is for liberally long NDLs and very long shallow deco stops if you exceed NDLs. These are not necessarily good attributes if you are getting older and lack the self control to use the computer conservatively.

2. In addition to the Suuntos, the Seiko units (Tusa, Dive Rite, Apeks, and Cressi) have nice big numbers and are more conservative than the Pelagics.

3. Get Nitrox certified and use it. Maybe it will help keep you out of those "inadvertent" deco situations. (It's a bad thing to put a ceiling over your head without planning! :shakehead )

Hzracing:
The XR1 does not do "Gauge Mode", thats why it is "N/A"

I would recommend the Suunto Gecko, very similiar features to your solution computer and has nitrox

The Versa Pro has been discontinued

For the record the XR1 does have gauge mode. I had one until recently and used it in gauge mode.

Uwatec Aladin Tec.
I bought 2 of those and have to sell 1 as my wife starts fuming about my scuba purchases. Wanna buy? :eyebrow: Bought a month ago from an authorized Uwatec/Scubapro dealer and not registered yet. You can register it under your name and have full warranty :wink:
PM me if interested. :D

Hi, Just wondering if you had the Solution, or the Solution Alpha? If its a Solution then please please please could I purchase the manual from you if you still have it? I have just aquired a (non Alpha) Suunto Solution, but no manual, and Suunto have been unable to assist as they only have the manual for the Solution Alpha.

Sorry I cant help with your actual question

Many thanks

Anthony Bradley

Back
Top Bottom