Own and rent...what's the deal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bolantej

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Okay, so I plan to buy some gear like my regs and octo and computer. Lets say I just get the regs and octo. Can I just rent a computer console? Do they have quick releases on them or something? Do they rent wrist mount computers, that I can use with a stand alone SPG? ( I know this varies but I figured most of you have an idea of how things work at most LDSs.) Or is it only going to work after I buy the whole set (console, regs, octo)? Just planning ahead.

Thanks,
Jason

i dun think my lds rents out computers since it only rents out absolute basic scuba equipments. Another reason might be that computers are too fragile and expensive to be rented.
so, just buy the set?

Of course this varies per dive shop, location, etc.

You don't see shops renting regulator sets often that have a computer in the console. Mostly because their rental gear is also their teaching/student gear and they don't want to confuse them with computers yet, etc.

I've seen lots of shops rent computers, or advertise their rental in their web page price list. Most are wrist mount. Some "hose mount" (which has a hose attachement).

I'm sure you can rent almost anything somewhere. I would recomend getting your own though because then you will get used to it and become more comfortable with it.

Owning or renting for me was the decision I made after figuring the cost of rental equipment VS. how often I was diving. If you are only diving a couple times per year, then rental is the way to go.
If on the other hand, you have become an addict and live, eat, breathe diving, then you should buy your own equipment.

Personally, I don't think renting a dive computer is a good idea.

Why?

Because unless you rent the same type of computer every time, you incur a new learning curve with each type of different computer you rent.

At the bottom of the ocean is no place to discover that you don't understand, fully, how to get the necessary information that you need from an unfamiliar computer.

If you're going to rent, stay with the SPG/depth gauge console. They all work the same way, display information the same way, and require no extensive study to be able to interpret.

You'd be amazed at the number of divers who own computers but have yet to understand the complete function thereof.

Just my 2 psi.

the K

Maybe look for a set of guages that wont break the bank and save for a computer. Maybe check with your LDS for somebody that just bought a computer and may be wanting to sell their guages. I have always rented the regs. and guages until I was able to buy both. Took four years of saving, but it was worth the wait. Got exactly what I wanted.

Good suggestion. If your on a budget the computer can certainly wait. You should be able to pick up a decent console for $100-$200 or rent one for a few bucks.

I figured it would be a better idea to buy the whole set. I just didn't want to buy one thing and then have it sit there in my closet until I get the other part in order to make it work.

Thanks everyone for the comments.

As was mentioned earlier, you've got to figure renting vs buying with a cost comparision. If you found, say, an Oceanic VT Pro (they're being phased out, but still good computers) they should be aroun $670. If you did 10 dives a year, that's $67 the first year. If you keep it 3 years, it's then like $22 a dive. That's only 10 dives a year for 3 years. Assuming you dive more and the fact that a computer will last you longer, the cost goes down dramatically. Quick example: 20 dives a year for 5 years, and the computer cost $6.70 per dive.

Now, this is a real nice computer with a wireless transmitter. It has a lot of range for different styles of diving. There are better, and worse, let's not turn this into a dive computer model discussion. I just picked this one as an example....

Just some food for thought.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom