Mares MR12 Rebel Coldwater Use

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mannella9

Registered
Reaction score
Iam looking to buy the MR12 Rebel, well trade in my old enduro setup for it. My question is: Does anyone have any experience with it in cold water? I will be using it in Michigan 55-65 deg. water. I hear they make a cold water kit for it, but is it required? I am also thinking of taking my advanced class and need a regulator to perform in cold water at 85-100'. I know they are offering the abyss, that is good for cold water, but it is not in my budget.
Any help would be appreciated.

Mike

I would not recomend the rebel for cold water use that is mares lower end reg. I have been diving the Abyss for 3 years now and am just upgrading to the proton metal with MR32 first. I would say for cold water try the proton metal with MR16 mini for cold water diving. Majority of my dives have been out in So Cal area so water is nice and chilly during winter months but not as cold as yours. I did not run the CW kit on the Abyss and did not have any problems. I know my local chain shop has the Metal with MR16 for around 299. You could also check out scubatoys.com I know they have some nice deals on the regs and are a dealer for mares so it come with full warnty.

Scott

The local dive shop said the abyss would be the way to go but the rebel would be good up to 50-60 ft. but for deeper I should get the abyss. I just wanted to get some second opinions on it and see if anyone uses the rebel in 80-100 dives in water 40+..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom