UWATEC Air Z Nitrox computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BernieL59

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a friend who wishes to sell me his 2 year old, never seen a dive, UWATEC computer wihch is in like out of the box new condition. Before I offered him a fair price I was wondering does anyone know what they would have been selling new for back in 2004?

Thanks

I don't know how much they retailed for when new but I can give you some info that may help. Leisurepro sells the Air Z Nitrox for $600 at the moment; as a way of comparison, they sell the newer model Smart Tec for $1000. The usual conditions (grey market gear, no warranty, etc) apply but you weren't looking to buy new from an LDS anyway. I bought mine exactly like your situation: new, never used.

Actually, mine was a replacement for an Air X (previous model) that malfunctioned and Uwatec just replaced it with an Air Z Nitrox, the person who sold it to me was getting out of diving so never used it. I paid $400 for mine including the transmitter; I don't know how cheap that is but it seemed that way to me.

One thing to bear in mind about the Uwatecs is the inability to change the batteries yourself. You have to factor in that cost in the long-run, and that probably varies by LDS. If it still makes sense to you, do it.

There are also various pros and cons to this particular model. I don't regret buying mine, especially since this was my first dive computer, but I will probably be replacing it in the future. You can search on the board here for previous discussions.

(a) Make sure the warranty will still be valid. Uwatec offers free batteries for life, but there are things you have to do to stay within the warranty rules, like periodic service.

(b) I'm not sure the top-of-the-line SmartTec is the one you should compare this model to. It may be closer to the new Smart Z computer, which is less expensive. I don't see that model listed on LP's site, however, so you may have to get pricing info elsewhere.

CompuDude:
(a) Make sure the warranty will still be valid. Uwatec offers free batteries for life, but there are things you have to do to stay within the warranty rules, like periodic service.

This is good advice but only if the warranty is transferable to second-hand buyers. With Uwatec, i don't believe that to be the case but i may be wrong.

CompuDude:
(b) I'm not sure the top-of-the-line SmartTec is the one you should compare this model to. It may be closer to the new Smart Z computer, which is less expensive. I don't see that model listed on LP's site, however, so you may have to get pricing info elsewhere.
Very good point. The Smart Tec has 3-gas capability so the 1-gas Smart Z is a more direct comparison. I just went with whatever was on LP just as a quick illustration.

Back
Top Bottom