used regs `Warranty `

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LOG-SPLITTER

Contributor
Reaction score
There is a atomic t2 for sale as well as a apexs atx 200 in my local newspaper ad and wanted to buy it. I’m just worried about buying used etc. Will there be any warranty etc?

Probably no warranty but that doesn't mean they aren't going to perform (exceptionally) well when properly maintained. Keep in mind that you will have to pay for yearly maintainence (well, bi-yearly in the case of the Atomic) even if you bought new. Do a ScubaBoard search and read one of the dozens of LDS/internet/ebay threads and go into it with your eyes open.

If the price is good, buy it. If it's only a hundred bucks or so cheaper, it's probably not that good a deal.

ZzzKing:
yearly maintainence (well, bi-yearly in the case of the Atomic)
I think he meant to say "once every two years" regarding maintenance on the Atomics. It's not twice every year.

John

I know for a fact that you would not get any warranty if you bought it used. I personally would not even consider buying used scuba equipment especially regs. The biggest reason is that you have no idea on the condition that it is in and weather there is something severely wrong with it or not. they may say to their knowlege that it is fine but mostlikly they are not reg techs. Or they took thier stuff in to get serviced and were told it was going to cost a lot to fix the problem that they may have been having. I dont understand why someone would want to take the risk of buying a "life support" item used and think that is fine to go and use it. just my two sense on buying used gear

Techy,
That's why you take it in for service before you use it. I have the shop test new regs before I walk out of the store with them.

Joe

savechief:
I think he meant to say "once every two years" regarding maintenance on the Atomics. It's not twice every year.

John

Bi-yearly means every two years. Semi-yearly means twice a year, or every half year. Works the same with bi-weekly, bi-monthly. But I did mean to say, and think I said, "once every two years". Thanks for helping clarify, though.

Sideband,
So you are saying that you would buy some reg not knowing if the person that is selling it is giving you proper information and take it in to get serviced and find out it is going to cost the say amount as buying a new one. any dive shop should test a reg right when it is sold just to double check the manufacturer. I guess i am just confused on your point???????

techy:
Sideband,
So you are saying that you would buy some reg not knowing if the person that is selling it is giving you proper information and take it in to get serviced and find out it is going to cost the say amount as buying a new one. any dive shop should test a reg right when it is sold just to double check the manufacturer. I guess i am just confused on your point???????

The labor for service is usually the same whether it is new (with warranty) or used(no warranty). If it is under warranty the parts are free. If I sell a regulator in our shop, I do test it after I assemble it, to double check the manufacturer. It's a lot better to take a couple of extra minutes and make sure everything is working properly than to get in the water and have a leak. It will happen. I've seen new second stages leak right out of the box and a simple tightening of the seat fixes it.

I think the warranty on used regs is some like.....

If it breaks you get to keep both halves.

lead_carrier

there are some dive shops that do charge more for labor for people that have used gear to get them to purchase new gear instead to help the LDS market and not the other locations since there are many LDS shops closing.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom