AL Blue Water Dive Report 6/10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

philmottrek99and02

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Drove down early Saturday morning with my friend Gene and his son. We were meeting his daughter by 930 am. Both the kids were completing Basic OW and Gene and I went for a refresher dive. We planned 2 dives with the option of a third. Didn't get into the water as soon as we had hoped for. First dive plan was to go to the training platform at 25' and from there make our way to the sailboat at 72'. After the sail boat we planned to make our way to the bus and big box. I wanted to take a ride on Flipper, but he was on the dock awaiting repair. About halfway into the dive, right after we had left the sailboat, my high pressure line for my computer failed and air was rapidly escaping from the valve. Not an emergency situation, but we aborted the dive and made our way safely to the surface. The dive lasted about 20 minutes hitting a max depth of 72' and a balmy 66 degrees. We hit 3 thermos on the way to the sailboat.

After a lengthy SI, we made way for dive 2. Dive 2 was to take us about 40' in depth and along the part of the quarry with the fire trucks and other wreckage. Gene could not clear his left ear, so he followed my bubbles and I kept at about no deeper than 20'. Algae blooms made viz in this part of the quarry at this depth pretty bad. About 200 yards away from the diving platform, we turned the dive. I surfaced and shot an azimuth to the dive platform, submerged and practiced my compass work. Managed to get right to the platform without any problems. Max depth of this dive was 42'. Somehow I managed to hit 42' because my camera slipped off my wrist. I recovered the camera at this depth; lucky find.

Did not do the 3d dive.

My thanks to the dive shop staff for saving my 2d dive with an O-Ring. Also, if you are hungry for a HUGE burger at a very great price, plan on lunch at AL Blue Water. $5.25 for a large double cheeseburger, bag of chips and a soft drink.
Great to get wet again, even with all the problems.
Howard

Glad you had fun. I did 9 dives there over the weekend. On 4 of them I was just acting as a safety diver for an OW class...the other five I spent playing on the sailboat, bus, box, and tubes.

Whoa, philmotrek dives?! Suprised the surf didn't kick up in the quarry :wink:

SuPrBuGmAn:
Whoa, philmotrek dives?! Suprised the surf didn't kick up in the quarry :wink:

Smooth as silk! As you were fighting 3' seas in the rubber dingy, I was enjoying life at the keys. Pelham Alabama keys that is!

Jeepbrew,
Sorry, if I knew who you were admist all the classes, I would have shouted out to you. I was the tall middle aged guy with the other taller and skinnier middle age guy diving from the other side of the deck; away from the classes.

Howard

Better than overhead waves out here now, if I hadn't known any better, I would think you were in town. LOL

When the seas settle, you need to make a drive down here again.

Thanks for the report Philmonttrek. It's the first one I've seen on Bluewater this year. Good detail and thanks for the temps.

I hope to get down there soon.

It was also good to meet you finally at the SEAS meeting last week.

-mike

Speaking of the seas ,Last week you mention diving in Pensacola Tuesday.....Surfing would probably be better.....lol

SuPrBuGmAn:
Better than overhead waves out here now, if I hadn't known any better, I would think you were in town. LOL

When the seas settle, you need to make a drive down here again.

"Nice boy, but he doesn't pay attention to a word you say."

Back
Top Bottom