Whiskey, Rocks, and Shrimp - not all in that order. A 6-10-6 Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Paul's Shrimpboat

7:30AM I met up with Paulwall as he finishes packing his things away from his Fort Morgan Beach House which he called home for the past week. We're in the water shortly after and the sun is still kinda low, but visibility is great and we have no problem finding the wreck. 10-15' with some particle in the water. Neither of us wore any sort of wetsuit or diveskin, trunks were fine in the 84F water. Earlier this week, Paul stumbled on the wreck by accident. We dove it Tuesday night, not really knowing what it was - Paul was thinking shrimpboat and he's probably right. Its a wooden hulled boat with a ~3' brass prop which protrudes from the sand a bit. The prop's bolt has a cotterpin securing it, which is supposedly a new thing not common on boats older that 50 years. The hull is mostly buried in sand or chewed up by the seas and scattered across the bottom. The relief consists mainly of outriggings, nets, masts, ect. There's is an abundance of schooling fish on the wreck and lots of flounder find their home here. While its not the largest wreck on the beach, its alot of fun and I'll be diving it quite a bit. I managed to find a hole to 18' and the dive lasted for 88 minutes. I shot 2 flounder after Paul shot one.

We packed our gear and headed to the Alabama Point in Orange Beach(SI of 1:15).

Pics at http://www.suprbugman.com/gallery/album133 I'll see about uploading video in the future.

Alabama Point Jetties

We're a bit late on high tide but the current doesn't seem to be kicking too swiftly and we proceed with the dive with the intention of turning at halves to swim back against current instead of rounding the point and enduring a hellova walk through loose sand. Again, neither Paul or I wore any exposure protection and the water wasn't incredibly chilly, even at our max depth of 29'. We saw anenomes, crabs, schooling fish, a couple ornamentales, and Paulwall spotted a nice octopus. Our dive lasts 67 minutes and included a surface swim back to our beach entry, atleast there wasn't an incredibly long walk. We gave the nearest fishermen our flounder from the previous dive and he was greatfull as he wasn't having any luck. Visibility at the jetties was another solid 10-15' with a slight bit of particle.

We'd be back in the water within the hour, this time at the Whiskey Wreck.

Pics from the jetties at http://www.suprbugman.com/gallery/album134

Whiskey Wreck

After two dives wearing just BCs over swimming trunks, I didn't bother with the diveskin on the third dive at the Whiskey Wreck either. The parking was packed, so the walk across the highway was easier without any hot sweaty diveskins anway. There was another pair of divers on the wreck as we entered the water. Visibility was, again, 10-15', which was plenty for me to get some decent pics and video of the wreck. I hit a max depth of 17' somewhere on the inside of the portside hull. Paulwall and I enjoyed watching the typical fauna found on the wreck including schooling vermillion and mangrove snapper, spadefish, pinfish, and now some small amberjack are hanging around. There were lizardfish and searobin camoflauging themselves with the bottom and blennies hiding in any nook they could find. It was another great dive lasting 73 minutes. Paulwall even made it back to the beach with some air this time around :lol:

Pics from the Whiskey Wreck at http://www.suprbugman.com/gallery/album135

Sounds like you guys had fun. The pics were great too.

It was a great day, one of the funnest days of diving I've had, honestly. Lots of long dives on different sites and I didn't have to spend any money :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom