Save-A-Dive: dive flag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CineDiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So over the Memorial Day Weekend... we went out to our local Lake Lanier a.k.a. Lake Murky. Our DM for got to bring the dive flag. We mainly stayed inside the cove which we camped out at and took the explorer kids out to about 2' to give them a taste of scuba.

On day two we had a small fire going just to warm the bodies up after the bone chilling temps that the lake can deliver (if your not use to it...) That is what caught the Rangers attention. When they came over to tell us to put out the fire, they said "Where's you flag!?!" :shakehead Now these guys where so busy that day and its a very big lake. The possibility of them returning were slim to none. But why take chances... :eyebrow:

I started to look around for different materials to build a flag... spotted a red shirt. Sure some one would get pissed about there shirt getting all wet, but who cares... we can still dive. Then is spotted a red nylon tent bag, even better. Red shirt safe for now. I remembered spotting a bag of plastic tent poles... score! Half way there. :coffee:

Now the tricky part... the white stripe. well, two words, DUCT... TAPE... yes, duck tape, the industrial adhesive repair material... equivalent if not equal to natures cock roach. (hmmm... i don't quite know what that means either?!?)

Before I could stripe our dear back... another guy had torn off a few pieces of cardboard into thin strips... Ok, lets hold on the duct tape for now. WOW!!! this works. But in order to post our flag in a visible area at the entrance to the cove, we needed to place it out just a bit further out. Uhh Ohh! water there is about 7ft and the pole is only about 6ft.... @#$*@!!!

While pondering on this for a bit, I had remembered see something around but my favorite watering hole :mooner: (pisser spot). YES!!! still there. A huge chunk of Styrofoam washed up on the beach/shore/rocks... Grabbed a piece and wa la!

see attached...:D

Flag_1.jpg

Flag_2.jpg

That's awesome MacGyver!!!!!!!!:lol:

I love it. I can see myself doing the same thing at some point in the future. I made a float for my flag out of an old inner tube and a milk crate. It worked great and it still works to this day.

Looks like a redneck dive flag to me! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom