Gulf Diving: What mm suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shakespear

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I figured I would ask here, because you guys should know.

I want to wear a shorty when doing my check out dives (and pool work) both will be in August.

"Pool work" will be done in a nice lake and check out dives will be in the gulf.

What mm do you suggest?

What brand?

thanks!

Gulf is currently abt about 83 degrees. Probably be in the upper 80s by August. I'd say 3mm or less if you are typical.

shakespear:
I figured I would ask here, because you guys should know.

I want to wear a shorty when doing my check out dives (and pool work) both will be in August.

"Pool work" will be done in a nice lake and check out dives will be in the gulf.

What mm do you suggest?

What brand?

thanks!

I was diving MM-less this week. It was just too much trouble to don and doff a wetsuit. I was chilly getting out of the water early in the week, but would welcome the freedom in 100 degree air temps.

I been using a 4/3 mm., feels great in the water and when walking back to my car.But, walking to the beach or riding 1 hour on a boat in the sun can get hot. I've dove with alot of folks who are not wearing a wet suit and they say that their real comfortable.

Surface temps will be in the low 80's, but once one gets down to the bottom the temps drop down into the mid 70's.

A 4/3 is an excellent choice, especially if one is going to be doing repetitive dives.

the K

1/2mm to keep the jellies off you, they'll be out in August. Obviously, its personal prefference, but that would be my choice.

3mm would probably be a safe bet for just about anyone...

As a female who tends to be cold natured I just wore a dive skin at the Destin Jetties Saturday. I was quite comfortable. Week before a wore the dive skin and then a 3 mil shorty on top for dive 1. For dive 2 I went with just the skin. Again I was quite comfortable.

SuPrBuGmAn:
1/2mm to keep the jellies off you, they'll be out in August. Obviously, its personal prefference, but that would be my choice.

3mm would probably be a safe bet for just about anyone...

Pay no attention to that troll/Hobbit behind the curtain !!!
He wears a 3mm shortie in the springs in January !!! :D

the K

I personally would not wear a wetsuit in the gulf in the summer, but I hate wearing suits. I even dive the springs without a suit every now and then... and most people at Bluewater thought I was crazy this past weekend diving in 59 degree water with only the bottom half of my farmer john.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom