Moving back to Alaska

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divesherpa

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
After a 5 year hiatus from Alaska (except for a few trips), I will be moving back in September. It looks like I'll be in the Girdwood/Anchorage area. Most of my Alaska diving was in the SE (POW, KTN, etc...). Anybody do any diving in the Anchorage area?

I've kinda turned into a wuss after diving 68-88 degree water for most of the last 5 years. It may take a week to re-acclimate.

Any info on the area diving would be appreciated. I'm probably looking Homer-Valdez area for the most part. I won't have a boat until next spring or summer.

Cheers,
Jamie

Thanks for the reply, Aquaman.

I'll shoot you a message when I get to your neck of the woods. What do you spear for?

I guess you're not moving to CO now :sad:

I may move to Colorado for a few months for snowboarding, but may go str8 to Alaska.

We spear salmon, rock fish, ling cod, etc. Also pike in the fresh water. 30 lb pike have been reported here but I have yet to see one that big.

We're also trying to figure out how to take some of those massive Alaskan halibut.

fairbanksdiver:
Any of you know of people diving out in Unalaska / Dutch Harbor?

Moving there from Fairbanks on the 30th, and need new dive buddies!

Heck, at least I'll have ocean now.

-Brandon.

Check with Magone's when you get there, they're the commercial outfit there. You might also check with the local fire department for new dive partners. Good luck and have fun! I never dove in Dutch, but did dive when I lived on St. Paul Island in the Pribilofs and loved it!

Poog

When you get to Dutch, don't dive "freshwater Lake" if you can help it. It was pretty gross! the bottom was the consistancy of brown mucky jello and the only "life" we saw was a dead rat on the bottom.
Back when I dove up there (I used to work on a NOAA ship) our policy was to check in w/ Magone Marine, a local salvage outfit, to see if they had their chamber available since it was the closest one.

Divesherpa:
After a 5 year hiatus from Alaska (except for a few trips), I will be moving back in September. It looks like I'll be in the Girdwood/Anchorage area. Most of my Alaska diving was in the SE (POW, KTN, etc...). Anybody do any diving in the Anchorage area?

I've kinda turned into a wuss after diving 68-88 degree water for most of the last 5 years. It may take a week to re-acclimate.

Any info on the area diving would be appreciated. I'm probably looking Homer-Valdez area for the most part. I won't have a boat until next spring or summer.

Cheers,
Jamie

Jamie, we will miss ya down here (even though I am in Charleston, SC now).

Anyway, check this guy out: http://www.alaska.net/~scubaguy/

He is a former boss of mine from the 80's. They have a condo right on Smitty's Cove in Whittier.

Jeff
(formerly from St Augustine)
(and Anchorage and Portland and Seattle..... I get around :D )

Back
Top Bottom