45# or 65# bladders

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

taat2d

Reaction score
I am currently diving a single steel 120. I am looking into a BP/Wing set up and trying to figure wich bladder will suit me. I dive wet (7mm farmer john), am 5'11 and weigh 230. Now the question is will a 45# bladder privide enuff lift for doubles?

ill prolly double the 120's eventually. Also I just rented a BP/Halcyon wing with travel wing to try out on tomorrows dive.

1. The wing size is for the rig not you... so your height/weight isn't so important. The wing needs to be sufficient to hold the rig at the surface full of gas.

2. Double steels should only be used with a redundant buoyancy device since you would not be able swim them up... that means that you should either be:
a. looking at getting a drysuit
or
b. using double aluminum tanks

3. The 45# Halcyon Pioneer wing is specifically for a single tank and will not work for doubles.

4. the 45# Explorer wing is specifically for doubles and should not be used for singles.

5. the 55# Explorer wing would be sufficient for double steels.

6. The 70# Explorer would be for cold water with extra gear, stages, deco bottles... ect.

Thanks for the info. SO I guess my best best is getting 2 sets of wings. One for a sinlge and then when I start diving my doubles.

taat2d once bubbled...
One for a sinlge and then when I start diving my doubles.
And you will be glad you have the BP/harness... very easy to switch wings at the same time you are changing from a single to a double....

Unless you are like me and just go ahead and have a dedicated singles rig plus a dedicated doubles rig.

I have a Halcyon 65 lb Explorer wing for sale. They are abt 2 yrs old but still in great condition, no leaks. This wing would be ideal if ur using steel 120s and carrying stages. I dive mainly twin AL80's in a wetsuit and i find this wing too big for my needs, therefore trying to sell it and get a smaller wing.

PM me if interested. :)

taat2d-

You could go with something OTHER than Halcyon.....o.k. I said it.

I have seen many divers using a Dive Rite Rec wing for both singles and doubles. They all were quite happy with the wings performance with both arrangements. The Rec wing has a gusset cord that you can make the wing smaller if needed(single tank) or leave it larger to hold doubles.

It will accomodate doubles, I don't think it will hold double 120's

that sounds like a goods idea. I'd like to be able to use the same set up for an STA, and then doubles.

Back
Top Bottom