Calling uncle pug for weightbelt advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dryglove

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey pug

Im looking at heaths website for a weight belt.I know you are using one of his.Im just curious as to which one you prefer.I am also gonna order me some bungie as he has great prices for it.Big thumbs up for heath.

Heres my situation.I am currently diving a knighthawk with 30lbs lead.Yea i know.Somebody has to keep the lead manufactueres in bussiness...lol.I dive dry with a Bare trilam HD and Bare cf-200 undergarment.Im looking to switch to an off the rack halcyon mc system w/36lb wing and ss bp unless i go the fredt route with the 9lb bp.But for now im gonna go with the 6lb halcyon bp.I figure i should lose some weight off of my belt switching to bp/wing setup. I also dive with faber LP95 tanks.

Based on this pug which belt from heath do you use and what would recommend for me.Im trying to buy just one belt and get it right the first time....lol.

By the way anybody wondering who this heath guy is look here http://www.idsewing.com

Another quick question.What size bungie should i use for the back up reg.What size bungie does hacyon use on the inflator hose just in case i do go the fredt route.And last but not least what size bungie for the hip pockets for connecting ny shears and other goodies too.Thanks!!

I have several of Heath's belts... and I think that the one I am using now is the medium sized all mesh one. I only put 10# in it when using it with a trilam and SS bp and LP104.

Since the belt can hold varying amounts by adding or subtracting weight pouches getting it right should be easy. In your case I would say to order the larger belt and 24# of lead pouches.... or... just get 18# and use a 6# P-weight in the bp channel.

lal7176 once bubbled...
Another quick question.What size bungie should i use for the back up reg.What size bungie does hacyon use on the inflator hose just in case i do go the fredt route.And last but not least what size bungie for the hip pockets for connecting ny shears and other goodies too.Thanks!!
I use 1/16th inch for the inflator and 1/8th inch for the necklace and pocket loops. I also have a rig using surgical tubing for the necklace.

One other semi dumb question for you.If i were to take a dir class would i get gigged for the mesh belt as a potential snag hazard or is it really fine mesh.I also tend to dive where there are sometimes fishhooks and dont want to get snagged to easily.Yea i know find a different place to dive..lol.By the way how does the water drain out of the cordura models.Is it mesh on the inside or have drain grommets.Thanks pug!!

Hey lal7176,
Our cordura belts have mesh on the inside for drainage. I do not know if you will get gigged for the mesh belt in the dir class they may say something about the delrin buckle we use vs. metal that they recommend. If you would like drop me an e-mail with your name and address and I'll send you a 26lb. belt in each style so that you can see which one you like better. All you will have to pay is shipping. The 26lb. or large belt will actually hold up to 36lb. So you could still dive this belt with 30lb. untell you get your BP setup and then remove the same amount of weight from the belt that the BP weighs. If you have any other questions just let me know.

lal7176 once bubbled...
One other semi dumb question for you.If i were to take a dir class would i get gigged for the mesh belt as a potential snag hazard or is it really fine mesh.I also tend to dive where there are sometimes fishhooks and dont want to get snagged to easily.Yea i know find a different place to dive..lol.By the way how does the water drain out of the cordura models.Is it mesh on the inside or have drain grommets.Thanks pug!!
You can't get a better deal than the one Heath offered you :D

You would not be using a belt in a GUE Tech or Cave class using doubles... or even in a DIRF using doubles.... you would only use one diving a single in the DIRF and even if they *gigged* you... so what... it would only be one small *gig* out of thousands :wink:

Seriously.... I dive the plastic buckle that Heath ships though we had talked about changing it out for a SS... this buckle is so much more HD than any other you have seen that it is a non-issue imo.

As for the mesh being a snag hazard... no. If you are rolling in fish hooks other things beside your weight belt will be getting snagged.... but by all means if you like the cordura option get it and wear it with the mesh to the inside.

I like the super heavy weight mesh that Heath is using as it provides enough grip to keep the belt from slipping down... that plus the slimness of the weight pouches is what sets Heath's belt apart imo. In fact I wear my belt somewhat loose intentionally for my own nefarious reasons... and it doesn't slide down.

One thing I would really like to hear feed back on.... has any of the buttless amongst us tried one of Heath's belts? Did it stay up??

I used one of Heath's mesh belts in DIRF....no comments, although I am not sure they took a hard look at my weight belt.

I've been very happy with the belt -- the mesh appears super secure regardless of how much weight you have in the belt (within Heath's limits).

I also agree with UP on the buckle -- very heavy-duty and secure.

One other note -- you can choose the colors for your weight pouches. I chose different colors for each size...easier to tell them apart.

My $0.02.

I used one of Heath's mesh belts in DIRF....no comments, although I am not sure they took a hard look at my weight belt.

Same experience here...nobody said anything about my weight belt in DIRF. Belt works really well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom