Jocassee 6/17-18 Anyone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UnderSeaBumbleBee

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
Just finished my open water cert last weekend. I want to get some practice in while the knowledge is still fresh. Anyone going to Jocassee? I will be at the remote boat ramp at Devil's Fork State Park looking for a buddy. Hopefully, someone will let me tag along.
Leah

I was there this past weekend. So I want be down this coming weekend. But most likely the next weekend (6-24/25). I’m always along and looking for a buddy. If you like .I can PM you the next time I go down.

Sure, let me know when you go. At this point I have no buddies, but a lot excitement.

I would love to dive with you sometime. If I can't find a buddy between now and the weekend, I will be talking to folks on the ramp hoping someone will let me tag along

There is always someone to dive with at Jocassee. I am there about every other weekend helping out with Bermuda Triangle classes. Just find the large man with a shaven head and you can dive with us. Congrats on your certification.

Thanks for the reply Dolphinfan. I will keep an eye out for you. I think Randy is doing the open water certs this weekend. I haven't met him yet. I have a red Office Depot mesh tote bag style gear bag, easy to spot. Office depot was giving them away recenty and the make for a decent bag and free is a good price. Hope to meet you out there.
Leah

Well Leah how did it go? At this time I plan on being down Sunday 6/25. I drive a white Toyota truck. If I'm not going to make it. I will post Saturday night.

Hi Miller,
Had a good time. Got in 5 dives. Saturday was uneventful. I tagged along with a class. Sunday morning I hooked up with a couple of guys. Asked if I could tag along. Explained I just had got my open water. They said sure I could come along and that they were planning to stay in 60 or less. Less than 2 minutes into the dive, we were at 86 feet. I finned fast to catch them to 91 and asked if I was reading my gauge correctly. Yep the replied on the slate. I reminded them that I was only OW. I am a real air hog at this point and it made me a little nervous to be beyond where I should. I called the dive and we went back to shore. Once I got to the surface, it was the last I saw of those guys back down and off. By the time we did a slow accent and made it back to shore I had used most of that tank.

Sunday afternoon, I went out on a boat to the wall and dove the junk and the cove by the junk. Went with a search and recovery diver--great buddy. Had a nice time on our afternoon dives. Vis 15-20 feet top water close to 70. At 60 feet it is low 60's.

I have to get caught up on some house work this weekend. I will be back out there July 1-2. Hope you have a good time. Let me know how it goes.
Leah

Leah, I'll be up there tomorrow (June 24). Are you interested in a shore dive (only to 60 feet!!) to look at fish and rocks, etc.? I'm diving with Bill this afternoon late and spending the night in Greenville with my daughter. If you can't make it, I'll put out some feelers. I just want to get back to Columbia by dinnertime.

I know what its like on the ramp. I always ask if they mind I tag along. Then I ask how deep. If it was to deep for me. I would thank them and then tell them it beyond my limits. Most of what to see is between 20 & 30 ft. Down deep it’s dark and cold and hardly any fish.

Don’t worry about your air use. Most of us were hovers. All comes with time.

If you can, go with Offthewall charter. Bill showed me all the things I was doing wrong. He took me on a night dive to get me ready for a trip. At that time I only had about 9 dives.

Thanks for the report.
Dive safe

Jocasseegirl:
Leah, I'll be up there tomorrow (June 24). Are you interested in a shore dive (only to 60 feet!!) to look at fish and rocks, etc.? I'm diving with Bill this afternoon late and spending the night in Greenville with my daughter. If you can't make it, I'll put out some feelers. I just want to get back to Columbia by dinnertime.

Sorry we will missing you on the 24th. Our group is diving the afternoon boat on the 24th with Bill. We had the opportunity to meet you last fall at Bill's place. Hope you and your husband have a great "lodge" dive season. I'm also a Columbia transplant, now living in Evans, GA (next to Augusta). What vis did you have today?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom