D6 Vs Stinger

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Airborne Diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi to everyone out there, greetings from a Newbie :coffee: My dive buddy is considering to buy a dive computer and is looking at the D6, Stinger and Aladin. As I am no expert in dive computer, I'm seeking for advice from anyone who knows or have experienced both the model to give their views.Thanks n Happy Diving!:14:

The Stinger is a great little computer and I had one for three and a half years, just swapped it for a D6.

D6 does two gas mixes, not just one, it has the deep stop algorithm, and it has a built-in digi compass. Otherwise, they pretty much do the same things – backlight, full deco, etc, etc.

If your friend doesn't want two gas capability, etc, he should be able to get a good deal on a Stinger at the moment!

Mark

Have the stinger...love it!

The only issue with the Stinger is that you have to send it back to Suunto to get the battery replaced. It costs about $200. and mine lasted about six months and was used only as wrist watch and never for diving. The battery was covered under warrenty, but it was still a PITA.

If you get the Stinger replace the band with a fabric one. Should one of the pins let go you won't lose the watch to the depths.

Thats the major consideration expensive battery change. The other dive computer he is looking at is Aladin Tec from Uwatech, self battery change, PC interface package included and yet US$100 cheaper then Stinger. Is it a better choice considering he is not going to use it as a watch? :coffee:

OE2X:
The only issue with the Stinger is that you have to send it back to Suunto to get the battery replaced. It costs about $200. and mine lasted about six months and was used only as wrist watch and never for diving. The battery was covered under warrenty, but it was still a PITA.

If you get the Stinger replace the band with a fabric one. Should one of the pins let go you won't lose the watch to the depths.

Suunto will change the battery for $60 plus shipping which my dive shop charges $20 for FedEx. You can change it yourself, it is not that hard. There are a couple of threads on here on how to do it.

OE2X:

You must of had a bad battery. My first battery last almost 2 years and had 100 dives plus used it as a watch??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom